Solved: Ubuntu - Installations

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sportscrazy

Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu Linux on a GB hard drive and I've been running everything smoothly it's great. But now I've run across a problem, I can't install any software, because I don't know how...I tried installing my HP Laserjet 1000 printer, after googling it, I found out I had to download the driver and install it, I did and the printer was on there but when I sent the "Print test page" command the printer wouldn't print...and I also need to know how to generally install software...Can anyone answer one of those 2 problems? :confused:

Thanks In Advance,
Sports :)

apt-get will find and install common programs,
you don't really have to worry about a virus on linux unless you are running a mail server, but there are antivirus programs out there,

and you probably need to register with an Ubuntu specific forum if you plan on keeping and using it because of obvious reasons. http://ubuntuforums.org/

For instance, at a terminal type -
sudo apt-get update

then
sudo apt-get install mozilla
and mozilla should be installed

if you cannot find the program you just installed you would
sudo apt-cache search mozilla

that would find the program, thus allowing you to put an icon/shortcut on the desktop

of course this might all depend on uncommenting the repositories -- which, if you had visited the link I posted -- and done a little work (read 'search' - actually even searched the forum here) -- all of these questions would have been answered...
Good luck!

http://www.ubuntuguide.org/ will get you started. It is outdated but should still work with the latest release. It will guide you through installing many programs and after a while you will get the hang of using the terminal using the "apt-get install xxx" commands. You could use the GUI Synaptic also. You deffinately want to add the extra repositories (see ubuntuguide) for access to heaps more software.

sportscrazy

Thanks, I tried the searching, and I looked at the guide in the sticky section, but for somereason the apt-get won't work :S...I tried the update option as well, and there's some sort of error, I've searched google as well...and I wanted to know how to install .rpm packages that I've already downloaded?

You need .deb packages for Ubuntu, not .rpm - though having said that I believe that there is a program out there some where that will allow you to install cross-platform.

You can also convert .rpm's into .deb's (I think ubuntuguide covers it). They are faily similar anyway.

sportscrazy

Ok, I figured out how to install programs, thanks everyone! :D I also installed KDE Desktop but I wanted to make kdm my default display manager...How do I do that? I forgot to select it at installation...

KDE looks much better than Gnome...hehehe....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online