1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ubuntu not work with Vista?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jcdf, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

I recently sent off for and received Linux ubuntu. When I tried using it on my compaq laptop with Windows xp it worked fine. But when I tried using it with Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 530s Desktop, it did not work. When I ran it from the CD it started to load the Linux Kernel and then stopped. It installed in windows but the option to boot up with it is never presented. Could someone give me some pointers?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you saying that on the Dell when you tried to boot the Ubuntu Live CD it failed?

And then you used Wubi to install it as a Windows application?

3. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

On the Dell when I tried to boot the Ubuntu Live CD it failed.
    I do not know what Wubi is? When in Windows Vista, I ran the ubuntu CD. The Ubuntu CD Menu is displayed which allows three options. 'Demo and full installation', 'Install inside Windows' and 'Learn more'. I chose to Install inside Windows.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    'Install inside Windows' is probably using Wubi (Windows Ubuntu Installer) "silently."

I don't know what's wrong, but I wouldn't try an installation if the Live CD boot is failing. There is probably an incompatibility with your hardware, something wrong with the CD, or you made a wrong choice during the boot.

5. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

Don't worry, I have got it working. I did away with the disk partition and just installed with windows. When booting up for the first time I had to chose something orther than the standard option, I have forgotten what it was called in the menu. It seems to work fine. I have a new problem though.
    I cannot access the internet from within Ubuntu. My desktop uses a wireless card to access the internet. So I need to install the windows wireless drivers in Ubuntu. To install these I require an internet connection, a chicken and egg situation. I have read on some websites that the drivers are on the Desktop CD but i do not know enough about Linux Ubuntu to search the CD Rom. Can I download the windows wireless drivers for Ubuntu from the internet in Windows Vista?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ubuntu can access all the Windows folders and files; so, yes, you can download with Vista and then access those files from Ubuntu.

Installed as a Windows application as you are, you go into Ubuntu's 'Places' - File System - /host. (I forget as usual; you may have to go to 'Computer' before 'File System.') The /host folder is the same as the Windows Vista C:\.

7. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

I have found the wireless cards drivers and installed them from Ubuntu.
    I have tried numerous approaches to get the internet to work but none of them work.:mad:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, what wireless adapter do you have? What driver are you using? Are you trying first with an unencrypted network?

Have you done a web search for "Linux wireless driver" to see if you can find more information about your adapter?

9. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

My wireless adapter is:
    Yes I have the drivers for it. I have an encrypted network and during my attempts to set it up entered the network password and other options correctly.
    I have done a web search “Linux wireless driver” and many more related topics.
    During which I found advice at the following place and followed it.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190177
    It did not work so I tried a clean install of Ubuntu to get a fresh start. I first uninstalled Ubuntu in Vista using the Wubi uninstall package and then reinstalled it off the CD and rebooted like before. Only this time I have not been able to get Ubuntu to start properly. Whenever I try to boot it up in normal mode it displays repeating messages like the following:
    Instead of letting it boot normally I tried pressing ESC to enter the menu and pick one of the four options:
    The first time I successfully installed Ubuntu, I think I selected the ACPI workarounds option. I have uninstalled Ubuntu from within Windows numerous times and tried a clean install but I cannot get it working like it was the first time. Do you have any advise?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only specific advice I have is that anytime you have trouble connecting wireless it's wise to disable encryption on the router to first try to get a connection. Then after you are successful you can deal with encryption as a separate issue.

Clearly from the problems you've had there is something about your hardware that is not playing nice with Ubuntu. I am not sufficiently grounded in Linux to give any specific advice about tools to use or anything like that. Just the general way I had to go about getting systems to work on my old Systemax laptop ...

Write down the choices you make when installing. Then when/if you run into a serious error (document that also) you can change that choice, or install again and try another option. Eventually you should end up with a usable system (and you can duplicate it if you have to reinstall) or have a strong idea what is wrong and can look for specific help here or in the Ubuntu specific forums.

I'm not saying I start out that way, but it's the way I fall back upon when I hit roadblocks.

11. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise everyone. :)
    I have decided to quit on this one. I have Ubuntu up and working on my laptop so I do not need it on my desktop.
    I am still moderately curious as to why it did not install on my brand new DELL machine. I am thinking maybe the problem is with Vista or some files or folders that got modified when installing Ubuntu for the first time.
    I will come back to this later.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice