1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ugly Arrows

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Billy the Adult, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult Thread Starter

Hello all.. Anyone figured how to remove those ugly arrows from desktop shortcuts yet?
    I miss TweakUI..

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Very easy. Unzip this little file and run it. It is a *.reg. Double click it and it will self import to the registry. 8Ignore the dire warnings about altering the registry!!) You will have to reboot to get the effect.

Attached Files:

3. Billy the Adult

Well, you're right it removed the arrows, but it left a big white square in it's place that covers half the icon. I had to do a system restore just to get the arrows back. May end up waiting for MS to release a Tweakui for Vista..:(

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Sorry. Yes. I think it is probably because you are using one of Vista backgrounds. I use a "simple (single colour)" backgroud

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just looked at an old tip I had up on my web site for Win95 to remove the shortcut arrows.

Still works for Vista:

1 Open REGEDIT.EXE
    2 Open the Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    3 Open the Key LNKFILE
    4 Rename the value IsShortcut
    5 Log out and back in again.

Even with a background, the arrow was simply removed.

To reset it, just rename the key back again, and log off and back on.

6. Billy the Adult

Hi, Bob and thanks for replying. Thanks for your simple solution.. I simply changed the name from IsShortcut to Shortcut and logged off and back on.. Works great.. I'm sure others will use this as well.. thanks again.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I would recommend renaming it rather than deleting it in case you want to go back again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice