1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: UK Postcodes in Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mad-martin, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mad-martin

mad-martin Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have a question and could do with your expertise opinion/assistance!
    I created an Ms Access database with a few hundred Vehicle repair agents.
    Would it be possible to pinpoint a contact (or a few) close to a certain UK postcode and by vehicle brand? (e.g. I am looking for a Mercedes dealer near a certain UK Postcode).

Any help/suggestions highly appreciated!

mad-martin

2. OBP

OBP

The dealer part of it should be easy, assuming that you have a reasonable database design.
    The Post Code may be a bit more difficult, you could certainly find any within the Post Area Code.
    Swansea's Post Code starts with SA, so you could find any postcodes starting with SA.
    The problem comes when you want to find a different Town/City as the post codes are not related by major area.
    So how close/far do you need it?

3. mad-martin

Thanks for your reply!

I have a ms access database with: name, company, post code etc, I also have an csv sheet with post code areas (e.g. SA1) and that contains geographical references.
    How close would I like it, the closer the better, but I think 25/30 miles would be acceptable

Ideally I would like to see 2 search boxes (1 text box where you could input company and 1 box where you would put the postcode.
    the reult I'd like to get is the nearest company (e.g. I put 'DAF' in company and 'SA' in the postcode box, I would like to see DAF dealers in and 25/30 miles around Swansea

I have no idea how to include surrounding postcodes. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks again for reading and a special thanks to OBP for replying!

regards,

mad-martin

4. OBP

OBP

Can you email me the database and csv?

5. mad-martin

Hi all

Thanks for your help!
    I have chosen a different approach alltogether and went with MapPoint

Thanks once more for your help

mad-martin

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice