Solved: ultra ata controller card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rameam

I need to buy an ultra ata controller card to install a 160 gb HD in WinMe. What does the following mean, and how do I know if I have it on my system?

UDMA/133 Drive (Matching drives needed for RAID)

Also, I asked a question about this once before, and someone said my motherboard may not support it. How do I determine if it will? I have a Compaq 5108US.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas! :eek:

rameam

Another quick question or two: I've found these priced anywhere from 12 to almost 500 dollars. What's the difference? All I want to do is run the hard drive off of it. Can someone recommend one for 25 or less?

rameam

My understanding is that WinMe will not recognize HD's greater than 139 gb, and that's why the controller card.

rameam

Sorry SacsTC, I failed to answer your question. I have only the one 40gb HD. I want to install the 160, partition, and clone my present HD to it.

dustyjay

Jay
ME will not recognize a drive larger that 137 GB as a single partition. You could partition the drive into 2 partitions and be able to use the entire drive. Or go with a controller card such as the one i linked to and be able to use the drive as a single partition.

rameam

How would I partition it if Me will not recognize it? Will I have to do that on another comp that will recognize it? Or can I partition it with Me even though it won't recognize all 160 g's?

I may not be able to respond to any replies for 18 hours or so. I so appreciate all the help!

You can use a manu disk (free download to partition the HD). It will also make it so that Win ME, if you are happy with that OS, and I know many who are, will see the entire hd without having more than 1 partition. Follow is the description of Maxtors free proggie.

File Name: maxblast4.exe
File Download Size: 1.8 MB

File Version: 4.0
Revision Date: 11/01/04
Compatible Operating Systems: Windows 2000 ,Windows 98 ,Windows Me ,Windows XP Home Edition ,Windows XP Professional
MaxBlast 4 is a one-step, ATA/IDE hard drive installation utility. MaxBlast 4 makes hard drive installations and upgrades hassle-free for novices and professionals alike by automatically identifying, partitioning, and formatting any Maxtor ATA or SATA hard drive, making it data-ready in minutes. MaxBlast 4 replaces all previous versions of MaxBlast and MaxBlast Plus.

Creates a bootable MaxBlast 4 installation diskette.

Compatible with Windows 98SE, Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
Breaks the 528 MB, 2.1 GB, 4.2 GB, 8.4 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB and 137 GB capacity barriers.
Supports both FAT32 and NTFS drive partitions.
Easy to use, Graphical Interface (GUI) with mouse and printer support.
Supports up to four ATA devices in the same system*.
The copy feature lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard drive.
Fast ATA and Serial ATA compatible.
The installation tutorial option allows you to view the installation process before physically installing your Maxtor ATA hard drive.
Note: There must be at least one Maxtor ATA Disk Drive installed in the system for MaxBlast 4 to run.

rameam

So if I don't have a Maxtor Drive, which I don't, it won't work on my system?

I don't know which brand HD you have, but they all have a utility that will do the same things. Just get it from the manu of the HD. (Free download). I just used Maxtor as an example.

rameam

Ok, I used WD Data Lifeguard Tools to partition the 160 g HD into 4 40 g's. I then used PC Clone Maxx to clone my present 40 g HD onto the first 40 g partition (D drive). When it finished and I rebooted, there was only the D drive. The other 3 partitions don't show up, and the D drive (with System_Sav) is 40 g. What did I do wrong?

The cloned drive will not boot. In fact, when the comp boots, it says it can't find an OS.???? When it first boots, it only shows my two cd rom's. It's as though there is no HD hooked up at all. I did change the jumper to master, and completely disconnected the 40 g HD.

Data Lifeguard Tools also contains a program to copy the partition. It sounds like you copied the drive to the wrong partition on the new drive. Should be .."C" Did you remove old hd set the new one as master and then re-boot? Then jumper the old as slave and put on the center of the cable.

rameam

When I ran Data Lifeguard the old HD was disconnected. I partitioned the new drive into 4 40 g's, turned the comp off, rehooked the old Hd master, reset the jumper on the new HD to slave, booted and had 4 extra drives. The first one was D. So I ran Clone Maxx cloning the old HD (C) to D drive. Each time I hooked a HD up as master, it was hooked to the center of the cable.

Edit: When I ran clone max, I chose the 40 g HD as source and Clone Maxx showed the other HD as 128 g (it's 160). I don't know enough about it to understand why, but I ran it anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online