1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Un doing a Duel Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drew7997, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drew7997

Drew7997 Thread Starter

Anybody know how to unduel boot a machine with Win98/XP?
    I wasn't sure which subject to put this under. I want the 98 to stay and remove the XP. I ghosted the 98 partition and now applied it to the new HD. However I get that Windows Selection Screen. just wondering if I can remove that screen. And if so, How?
    Thanks to all.

2. Drew7997

Drew7997 Thread Starter

Anybody?

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

Edit the boot.ini file and remove the reference to the boot partition you don't want to use any more. Make sure the default partition is set to the one you DO want to use.

4. Drew7997

Drew7997 Thread Starter

tried that- didn't work. it then gave me 2 listings of "Windows Operating System"
    it's ok- I just set the time to 0 and the default to 98. don't even see the screen and I can still ghost it and save it as is onto a different HD. Now I can have my XP on the old drive while the 98 on the new one. All are operatable. But thanks though.

5. Drew7997

Drew7997 Thread Starter

actually I think I remembered what I didn't do. I don't think I set my Boot.ini file to look at partition 1 instead of 2. Hmmmm or something like that. All well I got it to work. All is good in Computer Land.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A very quick method for undoing the dual boot [and keeping win9x]

Boot with your win9x boot disk; at the A> type "sys c:" without the quotes and hit enter. This will remove the boot menu.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I must ask; why would you want to keep a win9x based os and get rid of an nt based os? Unless it is old hardware that just will not run xp or win2k, there really is no reason to go backwards.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/381992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice