1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Un named portable hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dano_61, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hello all

I have a damaged portable hard drive, i bought it used and got many years out of it, the power light is not turning on but i can feel
    their is power going to it, there are no markings on the outside and i don't want open it and do further damage, i just want to get my music off of it

Thank you

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Just curious, but if it's not working, how will knowing the name help?

Most likely the enclosure (power circuit or controller) is faulty. As the drive isn't working, and isn't under warranty, opening it shouldn't be an issue. You can remove the actual HDD from the enclosure and install it into your computer, into another enclosure, or use an external USB adapter.

3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Thanks Jim

If i knew the name i could look for support for the mfg , i think it is Seagate , what did you mean external usb adapter

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It's out of warranty. The manufacturer won't offer any support.

All external drives function the same, and if the drive isn't recognized by the computer, there isn't much you can do. Test on another computer just to rule out a PC issue. Aside from that, there are two options: 1) have it repaired/replaced under warranty, 2) pull it apart and try to test the bare drive.

Most failures (when the drive hasn't been dropped) are enclosure faults. As noted above, the power circuit or controller. In which case, the drive is usually intact and will work fine.

USB adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=sata_usb_adapter-_-12-156-102-_-Product

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't think it is Seagate nor Western Digital. I have a huge 80GB WD similar in appearance BUT Seagate and WD put logos or words on the drive case.

I'm looking at the old, round power connector and found a LaCie with what looks like the same type of power plug. (My WD uses a pin type, like a laptop uses).

Count the holes on the power. Is it 5 or 6 pins?
    http://www.bixnet.com/acpoadfor3en.html
    http://www.bixnet.com/acpoadforexh.html
    I might be able to track it down by the power plug.

I don't know what the old IOmegas looked like but the foot design on this matches
    http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Prestige-Desktop-External-34275/dp/B001D7REJ4

6. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I finally got around to removing the case on the unit, it is a Seagate Barracude 7200.9, now how do i get the hard drive out

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean? If you got the case off then you have the hard drive out. Or is there something still attached to the drive? If so I'd suspect a few screws on the side or bottom of it. If you are unsure take and post a picture.

If you have access to a desktop to can connect it as a second drive and see if you can access the data.

8. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

still attached with 7 screws on the actual hard drive

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, everything you see in that picture IS the HARD DRIVE. Hard drives have circuit boards.

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

So it cant be removed from case ?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're not getting it. You have already removed the hard drive from the USB case/enclosure. What you see is the complete hard drive. There is nothing more to remove.

What are you trying to do?

13. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I was told in a earlier post to remove the hard drive and install in my computer

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And you have already done that. Now install it in a computer.

15. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Looks awfully big to fit in my computer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice