1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to Access Certain Files in Shared Folder

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DoubleHelix, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

I've been using file and printer sharing for quite a while on various home networks, but this problem has me completely stumped.

I have one folder on each of 2 Windows XP Pro machines shared. I can access some of the files in this shared folder but not others. The problem is not specific to size (some are larger, others are small) or type (some are EXE's, others are .TXT's). I simply get the "Access denied" error when trying to open, run, or copy some of the files.

I've tried deleting the folder and re-creating it, and that doesn't work. I've disabled Windows firewall on both systems. That didn't work either.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. DoubleHelix

The program doesn't work unless not displaying anything means the file isn't "locked".

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using Advanced File Sharing you have checked to make sure the file permissions are not different between the accessible and inaccessible files, right?

5. DoubleHelix

I'm using simple file sharing.

6. JohnWill

Correct, if you don't get any listing of locking applications.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The following is not the problem you are experiencing, but the randomness is similar. Won't cost much to check into 8.3 naming just in case we've found a new problem for an old fix. :)

Random shared files/folders not seen

8.3 naming disabled can cause random shared files/folders to not show across the network.

Windows XP uses two different names for each file on your computer. One is the name that you see in explorer and in the command prompt, and the other is an MSDOS compatible 8.3 (8 character title followed by a '.' Then three more characters to indicate the type of file) name. To enable the 8.3 naming convention:

Open REGEDIT (Start, Run, regedit)

Navigate to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ FileSystem

Change the value of the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to '0'

8. DoubleHelix

The problem is with Firefox.

If a program is downloaded with Firefox, it is not accessible over the network until the computer that downloaded the program is restarted. Restarting Firefox doesn't do the trick, and the problem doesn't occur with files downloaded using Internet Explorer 7.

9. JohnWill

That's pretty odd. I use FF all the time, and I've downloaded countless applications and run them with the download site still displayed, and I've never had to reboot.

Maybe it's some plugin that's installed for FF?

10. DoubleHelix

I started Firefox in Safe Mode and downloaded a file, and I couldn't access that over the network either. If I copy and paste a file to a different folder and then copy and paste it back, it can be accessed. It certainly seems like some type of permissions problem or locked file situation with Firefox. It's not always cleared up with a restart either.

I've tried disabling simple file sharing, but that didn't work either.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I thought maybe the Download Manager was "holding onto" the files, but I was not able to duplicate the problem. Just used Firefox to download 3 files--.txt, .jpg and .exe--to Shared Documents folder; immediately went to another machine and was able to view/execute all three.

In case Shared Documents made a difference I just tried again using a different shared folder to download the .exe. Still OK access on the remote.

Do you think maybe your Firefox Download Manager could be corrupted somehow?

The download machine is XP Pro SP2 using Simple File Sharing and the remote is XP Home SP2.

12. DoubleHelix

It's not the particular Firefox install because the problem happens on both Windows XP Pro computers when files are downloaded. I even installed a Windows XP virtual machine, and it too has the same problem. The other networked computers can't copy files downloaded with Firefox, but they can when the same files are downloaded with IE.

13. DoubleHelix

I'm able to duplicate the problem on a Vista install now as well. It's definitely something with Firefox. The same file downloaded using the IETab add-in is accessible.

TerryNet, can you confirm the version of Firefox you tried this with? It's strange that I can reproduce it at will in a virtual environment on several "clean" Windows installs.

14. JohnWill

I've done the same experiment, and I can't force any failure. I did it on this XP machine, and one of my Vista machines.

Attached Files:

• ff.jpg
      ff.jpg
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
  15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Same Firefox 2.0.0.13 that John showed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice