Solved: Unable to access Win Updates / Housecall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HOBOcs

Jim
I'm trying to sort out an issue where I cannot access some websites or run Housecall or get the latest WinXp updates.
WinXP Home - with SP1
Internet Explorer is not showing version info.

I get a blank screen when I acces the Explorer Updates.
I can Access the Trend Micro website but it will not run the Free scan. Appears to hang.
I've downloaded andinstalled Grisoft AVG and The MS Beta AntiSpyware ran the latest adaware and Spybots. ( I suspect a virus or something... AVG found two things and cleaned them.. but I'm thinking there is more to this..)

Just can't figure this one out. I suspect something is stoping me for some reason.
Any help , direction appreciated.

HJT
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:46:11 PM, on 6/26/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver2\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Utilities\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver2\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {68253470-5D4F-4CDF-8D9C-353C14A2F013} (SVPorsche Control) - http://www.seevideo.co.kr/pub/seevideo2003/svporsche.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab28177.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZIntro.cab32846.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

HOBOcs

Jim
Tried running TDS-3 and MS Antispyware, removed a few more remnants.
Still not able to access Housecall or Panda online scanners. (hangs on a java script). Unable to access Windows updates, I get a blank screen.
I asume is's an IE related issue, I've reset the web settings, check the IE Security seetings, Tried Reinstalling IE6 still no luck.

I had a problem very similar to this issue with different computers on a particular ISP. The resolution to my issue was that the ISPs Modem had a set MTU Size that was smaller than the default on my Windows XP SP1 machine. Windows 2000, and Windows ME worked fine and received updates, but I was unable to get Microsoft updates, unable to check out of Dell's website, and several other sites were only working partially on the Windows XP box.

Just a suggestion.

-Murphy

HOBOcs

Jim
Interseting...
The MTU on this pc(winxp SP1) appears to set low 1400 as a default. (
Note: I'm on a network and have had other winxp sp1 appear to connect ok.
thanks for the suggestion... I'll look in to this further as well.

HOBOcs

Jim
FYI, latest:
IE Explorer (help about) is not showing any version information
Search (start / search) shows a blank screen
I have run sfc /scanow... appears to have no efect.

I can't seem to reinstall IE6. says a newer version exists and knocks me out.

Not sure where to turn.

HOBOcs

Jim
I appear to have resolved this issue- looks like a script error or corruption as per MS KB Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q303048/

I was seeing an error when running Outlook. Googled for the error and found the script issue... this also resolved my other issues... I can now run Housecall and the search in WinXP now brings up that stupid dog animation.

Posting for others.. as always..
See below:

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if the Windows Script files for your computer are missing or are damaged (corrupted).
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: 1. Close the Activation Wizard dialog box.
2. Quit all Office programs.
3. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads
4. Click Windows Script in the Product/Technology dropdown list, and then click Go.
5. Depending on your operating system, click one of the following options:• Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
• Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98,Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0

6. Click Download.
7. Click Open to start the installation.

Marking Resolved

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online