Solved: Unable to access Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browntop2004

Hi, all !

I have been handed a PC to "sort out". It`s OS is XP Home.

The problem being, that when it is switched on, it brings up the following screen :

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But whichever option you select, the computer simply reboots and brings up the above screen again.

Anyone know the best way to go about breaking this cycle ? :confused:

Insert the XP CD, boot from it.

At the beginning of the Install process it should recognise that you have a version installed and allow you to Repair it.

Browntop2004

I have now attempted a repair but it`s asking for the Administrators Password. I have contacted the owner and as far as he is concerned there has never been an Administrators password set. I`m not sure which route to take now.

Browntop2004

Successfully managed to do the "Repair" a few days ago. I was to blame for windows asking for the Administrators Password. I was pressing R for repair first, when I should have pressed Enter to enter setup and then press R.

It`s done now anyway, I did have a slight hic cup after the computer rebooted , it was looking for a file and could`nt read from the CD drive. Managed to find someone who had experienced the same problem, edited the registry and away it went happily reading from CD.

Thanks for your help KiwiGuy :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts