1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to access workgroup computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kzoller, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kzoller

kzoller Thread Starter

I have a home network via a wired router wiith 5 ("A" - "E") computers all in the same workgroup running Win XP. All the workgroup computers are visible from each other. However, all of a sudden one of the computers ("A") cannot be accessed to share its files or even to check its properties. When I try to get to "A" from Network Neighborhood, I get these error messages: " 'A' is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource" or "You do not have appropriate access rights for this server" It ("A") is able to get into others on the netwok and copy, move etc file to it without problems. File sharing etc.is turned on for the Shared documents folder. I tried turning off my firewall, etc (Norton Internet Security) and because I use Norton, my Windows firewall is normally off. Still the same problem. I can "Ping" "A" without problems from "B" etc.I've run and rerun the Win XP Network Setup Wizard without correcting the problem and know the computer is on the network but there must be some security setting I'm missing (This is one of my kid's computers so they may have changed something unknown to me). I've also run the most recent Norton AntiVirus scan. "A" has Win XP Home and "B" has Home, "C" has XP Pro.

It was suggested to me to change the "Local Security Policies" under Administrative Tools on "A" to make sure "Everyone" has access but there is no option to do this in XP Home (as in XP Pro).

I also tried using the http://blog.manueladam.com/Manuel/articles/190.aspx
    link someone suggested and installed the scesp4i.exe program and it did add a "Security" tab to the folder properties tab. It is set to allow "Everyone" to
    access, control, etc. the shared folder but ... I'm still unable to access
    Computer "A" from the network although "A" can access "B", "C" etc. whether they have XP Pro or XP Home and "A" is listed in the workgroups of "B", "C"

There must be some overall security setting that allows other workgroup computers to access "A". Others are also denied access to the "Properties" of "A" where it shows up in "View Network Computers"

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. kzoller

kzoller Thread Starter

Thank you so much. Fixing that registry value fixed the problem after I had spent many hours trying to repair it.
    K Zoller

4. nexty2

nexty2

Thank you ever so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you :D . I was experiencing problems described in the thread. I hadn't got a clue what was wrong and was getting really annoyed as to what to do. Luckily, after spending time searching I eventually saw this thread. I changed the registry value on the problematic PC and YES! my problem was fixed. Thank you yet again :D .

5. sxr80

sxr80

What was the Registry fix that helped with the problem

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wow, did you note the date on this thread? Anyhow, below is the simple (thanks to JohnWill) version of the referenced registry fix. If you want help with a problem, please start a new thread and describe your network and problem(s).

Possible Fix for corruption “Access Denied” Problem:

Using notepad create a file named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

------------------- cut after this line -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
    ------------------- cut before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Restart and see if this helps with the access issue.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. sxr80

sxr80

Thanks Mate - it worked - this has been a constant source of annoyance - I could see the computer but not access the drives. - Now OK - thank you again

8. arcaneseeker

arcaneseeker

I was complete flustered for three hours until I stumbled upon this.

I registered solely to say thank you for your help, and to vouch for the fact that the registry edit does work. I had to restart my computer, but after that it was smooth sailing.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad it solved your problem, and thanks much for letting us know.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may be too late, John! The thread originator hasn't posted to this for more than two years. The above was the 3rd or 4th happy customer of the 'access denied' fix! :)

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll just have to do it myself! :D

13. tomnewton30

tomnewton30

After at least 4 hours of trying different ideas from different sites I found this one and it took me under a minute to fix using notepad! Thanks so much.

14. ebouza

ebouza

I was also having issues connecting to a computer located on a workgroup.

I ran across this fix which resploved the issue I was having.

Download the Windows Resource Kit

Use the following utility ntrights.exe

Go to a command prompt and type

net user guest /active:yes
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

After running those commands I rebooted the computer and I was able to connect to it.

I hope this helps anybody having the same issue.

Erick

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice