1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to activate Access 2010 Home and Student

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jmar2, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmar2

jmar2 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3758 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD, 1751 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 466220 MB, Free - 350508 MB;
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

I bought MS Office Home and Student 2010 from BB in summer of 2010 when I bought my VAIO laptop. I thought I successfully installed everything. Word works, Excel works, Powerpoint works, etc. But I never even looked at Access after the initial install. Now I'm doing some DB work and need to use Access and everytime I start it I get the activation wizard. I enter the key, it hums along. Says it's done and to restart. I restart and Voila, the activation wiz starts back up and pretends it's superior to me in every way and says "you ain't goin' anywhere".

MS talks a good game of going to HELP and selecting the "Purchase activation key", but I can't even do that as the wiz pops up and blocks out any action on the Access page.

MS also tells me to look at the PID code in HELP, but again, can't. Wiz says I have to activate.:cool:

Third MS gratuitous tip: look at the error code in left hand corner of the wiz box. Well, sure enough, I don't have one.

I realize I can remove Access and try a new install, but I shy away from that path. When pursued in past, I have discovered that is a good way for MS to trash ALL my office products.

Any help appreciated, thank you all and a wonderful winter's day to all.

John

2. Rockn

Rockn

I don't think Access is included in the Home & Student version.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did you install it? Did you run the original Office installer and then make choices from the option tree? That is how it should be done, and uninstalling it is as easy as unchecking that option when running the installer, if Access is there.

4. jmar2

jmar2 Thread Starter

I selected the automatic function from the DVD. I expanded the tree, everything looked like stuff I wanted so I closed the tree back up and told the DVD to go ahead.

I like ROCKN's response. I never thought ACCESS wouldn't be included. Damned if that ain't the case. Looking closely at the box, it clearly says:
    WORD
    EXCEL
    POWERPOINT
    ONENOTE.

No wonder I can't activate ACCESS. I love the fact MS went ahead and teased me by loading a "Trial" version, leaving it lurk in the bushes until now. Are we sure the real terrorists live in the Middle East. Maybe we to send some Seals to Redmond.:rolleyes:

Thanks, ROCKN and thanks to everyone who read the original post and scratched their head wondering about the problem.

John

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are Access clones out there. You can install parts of LibreOffice, too. It is compatible with nearly all MS formats. It contains BASE, a substitute for Access, but it comes in a portable version, too, so you could run it from a folder or USB stick without installing and interfering with any current programs and file associations.

Or you could install the whole thing and get rid of Office entirely.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

6. jmar2

jmar2 Thread Starter

"SOLVED" it is and thanks for the additional information.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!