Solved: unable to activate xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oldgadget

Hello Tech guys, Thanks for birthday greetings.
I have a problem activating xp pro sp3 online on a very old laptop. The server appears to be shut down and I only have PAYG mobile so landline activation is prohibitively expensive, is there, now that xp is officially dead, a workaround.
The computer is only used to run car diagnostics, and is old 'cos software and leads require serial and parallel ports. Any help would be appreciated.
I have spent an appreciable amount of time "googling" for the answer, but got nowhere.

If you are installing the original OEM version of Windows that came with the laptop, you should not need to activate it. What are you doing exactly?

oldgadget

I am using a Genuine xp disc and clen installing on an old laptop that had w2k on it, lappy does not have any networking so installed a wireless dongle which happily accesses the net, but when trying to activate the fresh install the ms server says it's down, try again later.
The lappy originally came with w95.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I am using a Genuine xp disc and clen installing on an old laptop that had w2k on it
The lappy originally came with w95
If that laptop originally came with Windows 95, it will likely be too old and too slow to install and run Windows XP.

What brand name and model name and model number is it?

What is its processor type and speed?

How much RAM does it have?

What is the capacity of its hard drive?

-----------------------------------------------------------

oldgadget

233 cpu, 10gb hdd, 256 ram. xp sp3 installed and runs reasonably, just one prog will be run on it as per 1st post.
dell latitude cpi

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
233 cpu, 10gb hdd, 256 ram. xp sp3 installed and runs reasonably, just one prog will be run on it as per 1st post.
dell latitude cpi
That's a 17- 18 year old laptop that supports a maximum of 128 MB of RAM.

I'm surprised you have 256 MB in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

oldgadget

yup but it still works! original battery as well AND it still holds it charge. They made them properly in those days. install from partition on hdd took 24 hrs.

Still boots quicker than my w7 lappy.

oldgadget

xpprocorp-key-changer.exe seems to have done the trick, a really old bit of software I had squirreled away, found whilst going thro' my old floppies. I did use the correct key, NOT one that was generated by the prog.

oldgadget

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Well I suppose that having been dissed by flavallee and CleaverX, they can't be bothered to help
None of us monitor these forums 24/7 and reply back immediately.

xpprocorp-key-changer.exe seems to have done the trick, a really old bit of software I had squirreled away, found whilst going thro' my old floppies. I did use the correct key, NOT one that was generated by the prog.
Glad to hear you got your activation issue resolved.

----------------------------------------------------------

Triple6

Rob
FYI the Windows XP activation and teh updates servers are not shut down, you can activate and download Windows XP updates even though the support for XP is over.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online