1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to add ISP - Error 624

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Myhistory1, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Myhistory1

Myhistory1 Thread Starter

I am unable to add and ISP to my computer. The install goes well until the end and then I get the error message 624: The system could not update the phone book file.
    I've tried to manually add it, and that doesn't work. The internet connection wizard says: it "could not configure your computer for the internet. It says I will need to set up my own TCP/IP protocols, Dial-up Networking, and modem, ISDN line, or other device that you use to dial out from your computer" How do I do that?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

How did you try to add the isp? . . what connection do you have? . . dial-up or broadband. Have you checked the IPS supports site for instructions on connecting?

wrs

3. Myhistory1

Myhistory1 Thread Starter

Hello, and thank you for responding to my question, you are the only one who has. I have tried to add the isp through my "Add a connection" Wizard which asks that I add the Isp name and phone number, type of connection, etc. But it comes up with an error that says it cannot update the phone book file. I have contacted the isp's help and tech support for instructions on connecting to no avail. They all suggest I re-install the software, which goes all the way through until it comes time to create the connection in my registry and then I get the error message 624. I have changed access numbers and added new locations until I'm blue in the face. I have an earthlink connection that I used when I first got my computer (when adding an ISP was not a problem) and had to return to it and start a new account because it was the only connection in my registry. I had a high speed dsl connection at one time which loaded just fine. But was unable to afford the higher fees and went back to dial up. Can you suggest anything that I have not tried? Do you know what the error message means? I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you. Myhistory1

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!