Solved: Unable to connect to internet but can connect to router.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

colinsp

Colin
I have just rebuilt a laptop for a friend. I downloaded the latest drivers for the wireless connection from Acer website. They have installed correctly.

I can connect the laptop to the router by wireless and I can browse the local network and see the other PC's BUT the internet is shown as not connected. Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit. Other wireless devices (iPad for instance connect to the internet fine).

I have re-booted the router.

Anyone got any ideas?

TerryNet

Terry
Same with an ethernet connection?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

ping 8.8.4.4

ping yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

colinsp

Colin
Terry, thanks for your suggestion. I persevered and suddenly it connected after multiple reboots and now reconnects every time I reboot. it must have been 'just one of those things'.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts