1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to connect to internet with router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jazz2756, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8151 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 942685 MB, Free - 728540 MB; K: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 562758 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G3HR7
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

I wanted to put a password on my router.

When I tried to login, I tried various generic usernames and passwords, but it would not accept any of them. The label on my router (Netgear WPN824 v2) says the default username is "admin" and the default password is "password." I do not recall ever giving it a password. Anyway, they did not work.

I figured I had to start all over, so I reset the router with a paper clip and I went to 192.168.1.1 and it would not let me on without a password.

I put in the installation CD, but it will not run. I even tried to install it on a laptop I have, but it would not run on that either.

And now? My router won't access the internet at all.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    page 3.5 of the user manual her
    http://documentation.netgear.com/wpn824v2/enu/202-10122-01/pdfs/FullManual.pdf
    says
    so you appear to be doing every thing correctly - you are connected to the router with a cable to the PC

and the router, has it been supplied by a particular ISP (broadband supplier) as sometimes they put there own firmware on the router

are you using internet explorer - some router can be fussy about that

3. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

A couple years ago, I ran into this problem, and I just ignored it because I didn't want a password on there. Now, however, my neighbor told me he uses my connection to connect to the internet. Normally, I wouldn't mind but my ISP throttles us down after we use so much info.

Now, I'm pretty sure I set this up to NOT require a password, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just know that my installation CD will not boot, and the 192.168.1.1 is not reachable.

I don't know why the installation CD won't work. Should I delete Netgear from my computer and try it again? It won't work on my laptop either. I'm banging my head against wall trying to figure this out.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the factory reset should have taken the router back to use the defaults - so even if you are using a password that should sort it out

have you held the reset in for 20-30seconds and do the lights change on the router itself

5. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

I have tried that several times. It does not even give me the chance to enter a password now. I just get the domain is not reachable.

Also, I have tried Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.

I'm to the point that maybe the router needs to be replaced. But it worked fine until I reset it.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what are you actually typing into the address bar
    www.192.168.1.1
    or just

7. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

Actually, I'm embarrassed to tell you that my Magic Jack Plus was plugged into the router. I removed that, and now I'm able to set up the router. I've hit a snag though. I think it's because I selected a security type not supported by my equipment. I think I should be able to set up a password without selecting the security. Right?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no-you will need to choose a security type
    wep, wpa,wpa2

9. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

OK, I've selected both security types, and each time I get right to the end, and it tells me page is not available.

10. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

11. Jazz2756

Jazz2756 Thread Starter

I've got it set up now, but instead of asking for my passphrase, it asks me for my security key, which it assigned me. So, I guess I have to enter that each time. I'll play around with it and see what's up with that.

But my original problem is resolved. Thank you for your help, etaf.

Cheers,
    Jazz

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be able to save as a profile

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice