Solved: unable to copy downloaded printer driver to CD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rubeckf

Ruth
Not sure if this is the right place for this post but here goes anyway. My mother in law's old printer finally died and someone gave her a HP F380 all in one with no driver disk. She lives in another state and does not know how to download files like this. I used this older computer downstairs with the same Windows Version. I have it downloaded but when I try to put it on CD it gives me the error message that the title is too long. I'm not sure how to shorten the title so it will go on a CD. Here is the title....AiO_071_000_CDA_Default-full_Network_AmericasEuro1_NB.exe. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

etaf

Wayne
right click on the file and rename
then call it anything you like

what windows version

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
One of the nice things about the HP Deskjet F380 All-In-One and earlier HP Deskjet F300 series printers is that HP continued to provide a full-feature software driver package for it as each new Windows version was released.

I had a HP Deskjet F340 that started out being used with Windows ME and survived through Windows XP, Vista, and 7 before I donated it to an elderly neighbor.

----------------------------------------------------------

When you rename that file to shorten it, make sure to leave .exe at the end of it, or else it won't execute and work.

Example: HP_Deskjet_F380.exe

According to the file name that you provided, I'm guessing your mother-in-law's computer is running Windows XP.

The software driver package for Windows XP is 507 MB and is much larger than it is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 because it contains a lot of unneeded extras.

You want to make sure NOT to use the default install option, or else all that unneeded stuff will get installed.

Select the optional/advanced install option, then uncheck the unneeded stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------

rubeckf

Ruth
Many thanks to both of you. Yes, we are both running Windows XP Pro SP3. I couldn't get it to download for xp on my windows 7 computer even if I just wanted to save it and put it on a CD. So I finally gave up trying and just decided to do the whole thing down here. I had just been using this older computer offline to play games. I connected it to my wi fi and set it up down here to do this for her. Thanks again, I have the CD made now.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
After you download and save that 507 MB-size file for Windows XP, right-click on it and then rename it.

You can then burn it to a CD-R.

If you don't know how or have difficulty in burning it to a CD-R, then copy it to a USB thumb drive.

---------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks again, I have the CD made now.
OK, good. (y)

Disregard my previous reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online