1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to find certificate

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DKTaber, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Am trying to rejuvenate an old Compaq laptop. I have a D-Link 150N router in the house that connects both my XP desktop (via an adapter) and my Win 7 laptop to the Internet. But when I try to connect to the Internet with the Compaq, it recognizes the existence of the wireless network, but the status is stuck permanently on "Verifying identity" and it continues to say that I'm not connected.

I have seen threads in this forum about deleting the 802.1x IEEE network, but that's not one that's listed. I've also seen instructions to change the security from WPA2 to plain WPA, or from WPA-RADIUS to WPA-PSK, or something like that. But I assume you have to do that by going into the router. WPA2 works perfectly with my two current computers and I don't want to change to plain WPA just to accommodate this old computer for a day while I download a few programs I want to put on it. So the question is, how can I get it to connect without compromising the security setting on the router? Or do I have to be satisfied with a wired connection, which does work.

2. geek-assist

geek-assist

while it is stuck at verifying identity, can you try and visit a website? what message do you get?
    also try the following in the command prompt and paste the results here.
    1) ping google.com
    2) ping 8.8.8.8
    3) ipconfig

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Well, since sending my post, I started installing SP3 on the old laptop. However, while it was installing, I ran the pings. They were all successful, and even the ipconfig shows that both the LA connection and wireless network connections exist. The wireless ipconfig returned the following:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: (blank)
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.198.20
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: (blank)

The LA connection returned the following:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: hsd1.de.comcast.net
    IP Address: 192.168.0.105
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The wireless card may be too old (before 2006) for WPA2 to be included in the drivers on the computer.
    Have you checked the HP/Compaq support site to see if there are newer drivers, after 20006, for that card?
    Another option would be the card manufacturer's site.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I will give that a try. From what I can glean from the Wed, the Presario 2100 was made in 2005. And from what I'm seeing, the people that owned it didn't do any updating (e.g., this is 2011 and it did not have SP3 on it or any .Net Framework versions later than 1.0). Will report back if I find driver updates and they fix the wireless connectivity problem.

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Have a friend that would let you borrow a USB adapter?

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Thanks, but this is a "Phoenix" computer (If you remember your mythology, the Phoenix is a bird that rose from its own ashes). The computer was about to be recycled. A friend took it from the owner instead and asked if I could "revive" it. . . which I have and have updated XP to SP3, installed and updated all of the .Net Framework programs (ugh!), removed an outdated version of McAfee and installed Avast and SuperAntiSpyware (and zapped 163 malware files!), removed a lot of programs that were worthless, cleaned out all the temp files, cleaned out the registry, defragged the drive, etc. But. . . it's a 2005 computer. I'm sure its wireless card can only recognize WPA security, while my router has WPA2, so it won't connect wirelessly and I'm not about to switch my router to WPA just to connect it wirelessly. I went to HP's site, had it scan and identify the computer and suggest driver updates. There are NONE. . . so I can't update to WPA2. I'm connected via Ethernet cable.

This thing is so slooooooooooooooooooooow that it would be usable only by someone who wants only to surf the Web and do e-mail. I will be returning it to the guy who gave it to me today or tomorrow.

I'm going to mark this thread as 'solved', even though it wasn't; not worth anyone's time to try anything else.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice