1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to find the WEP key on my home modem (which could nullify any extra cost).

Discussion in 'Networking' started by general_beeswax, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. general_beeswax

general_beeswax Thread Starter

Today, I bought a new Sony Vaio laptop and a wireless router. Upon returning home, I discovered that my 2WIRE modem already functions as a wireless router, but I need a WEP key to access the network. I'm not sure where to look to find this key, and I would appreciate any help. Finding this key would mean a refund on the sixty dollar router and would be greatly benificial.

Thanks in advance.

2. wacor

wacor Banned

well i am not the best at network problems but i do believe a Wep Key is about the same as a password. I am assuming when you try to get online with the laptop that it is calling for the wep key?

Are you saying your modem is a dual modem/router?

If so you will need to find out how to get into its configuration.

3. wacor

wacor Banned

4. general_beeswax

Yeah, the modem I already had at home was an external modem we received when we purchased our DSL package. And yes, when I try to connect to the wireless on my laptop, it's asking for a "network key (also called a WEP key or WPA key)". I'm not sure how to reconfigure the modem/router so I can find this WEP key.

5. general_beeswax

Whoa! That worked perfectly. Thank you.

I feel a little foolish now.

6. wacor

wacor Banned

i would check the above site for support for answers.

you could also try typing in admin when the laptop asks for the wep key. some router makers use thatn as a default.

it is possible that your ISP also put in a Wep Key and you might call them for help

There are ways to reset everything to default but i am not comfortable telling you how to do that because i would not want to risk it doing something that would disable the working computer.

7. extrados

extrados

2Wire Tip for anyone searching for answers in the future:

By default, 2Wire HomePortals have a network name of 2WIRExxx (xxx=the last 3 numbers of the serial number) and use the number in brackets [] below the serial number as the WEP key.

To change this information (64/128-bit WEP, WPA, etc) simply go to http://gateway.2wire.net > Home Network > Wireless Settings.

extrados

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499842