1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: unable to format hard drive partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by riskyifzal, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riskyifzal

riskyifzal Thread Starter

hello u guys and i have finished up with the dban thing,after wiping my hard disk.

i just made a partition and i m unable to format it(Using Windows Format)
    i have 500 gb hard disk.
    4 Partitons

1- 100 gb(primary)(c:disk)
    2-67.5gb(Primary)
    3-200 gb(logical)
    4-100(which i m unable to format)(Logical)

all are ntfs partition

before making and formatting 3,4 partion a freind came to me he asked me to fill songs in usb drive.

i m using kis 2010 so i thought i need not worry bcz if any viruses or trojans are found they all will be deleted or disinfected by kaspersky internet security.

i found 8 viruses and 3 trojans out of which kaspersky deleted 5trojans and and two viruses and quarantied 1 virus.

i just scanned usb drive again and i found no viruses and trojan so i opened it and copied all data on 3 partion which is working correctly.

then i made and format 4th partion after restarting my pc.
    i wasnt able to format this partion no matters how many times i format it.

i think the virus which was quarantined may have cause the problem.
    i m confused bcz i scanned before opening the usb drive.when i found all viruses and trojans and whena ll viruses or trojans were deleted or quarantined the n i again scanned and i found nothing on usb drtive.

so i copied all the data to 3rd partion.after checking for viruses.

it hink the virus which kaspersky internet security quarantined is causing the problem.

the virus which kaspersky quarantined is moja.exe.

i dont know i opened to usb drive aafter scanning.

after formatting the 4th partition again and again i just went to partion properties tied to check for disk errors no matters howmany times i click the button i wasnt able check for disk errors.

the 4th partion is not showing up in my computer.not even in kaspersky internet security where all partiton are located except this 4th one.
    i just even cant open this partion from diskmanagement.
    scanned through kis but found nothing.
    huh! kis 2010 dont found this partion then how could it scan it.

Attached Files:

2. NozzaC

NozzaC

When you say you cannot format it what exactly to you mean? What are you doing and what happens when you try?

It appears from disk management that the disk is formatted with NTFS but you have not given it a drive letter?

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I agree, first screen shot shows it's formatted, Volume name is Videos, it 100 GB NTFS, it's Healthy, and is a (Logical Drive), just doesn't have a drive letter assigned.
    Right click the partition, click Change Drive letters and paths, and give it a letter.

4. riskyifzal

riskyifzal Thread Starter

oops ya u r right,its working now
    i just didnt thought abt this.
    this smallest thing tensed me.
    i apologise for any inconveneince i may have caused to u

5. NozzaC

NozzaC

This is a help forum so it hardly inconveniences anyone! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice