1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to format hard drive !!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 247unicorn, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 247unicorn

247unicorn Thread Starter

I have made a boot diskette , added smartdrv , but won't accept the smartdrv command, I'm slowly going crazy !! How do I get to BIOS, and how do I configure to startup from cd drive ?? Please help !! Have wasted hours on this thing !!

2. sjupr

sjupr Banned

Boot up with no floppy or cd in drives. While booting, tap F11 or some other key or key combination to get to your BIOS screen. If you're not sure what to tap check out the web site for your make and model or look in the docs that came with the machine to determine how to get to your BIOS screen. From there look for device boot order and if HD is listed first, change it to CD, then floppy, then HD. Now put the CD in the drive, exit the BIOS, comp will now reboot and assuming that the CD is bootable, it will boot to that. Hope this helps.

3. 247unicorn

Thanks - I'll give it a try now !!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Since you're in the Windows XP section of the forums, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. If that's the case, booting from the Windows XP CD will allow you to format the hard drive. No floppy startup disk is needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. sjupr

sjupr Banned

I'm not sure that he'll be able to boot from the XP CD if his BIOS boot order looks to the hard drive first, rather than the floppy drive or CD drive. That's why I asked him to get to the BIOS and check on the boot order. I'm really not sure what he's trying to do, that's the only reason that I asked him to check his BIOS and verify what the first boot device was. It's not usual to list the HD first vs. the CD or floppy but you never know. You're suggestion will definetely work IF he wants to format the drive and CD is listed before HD. He could also do a repair install if he can get the CD to boot first. :)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm aware that the boot order has to be set in the BIOS so that the CDROM drive is listed first.

I'm just not sure at this point if Windows XP is being used or if another version of Windows is being used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. 247unicorn

Thanks for the help yesterday but I ended up calling in a tech guy to fix the problem, something to do with my drivers !! Now everything works fine - but my speakers won't work !! Message says no audio drivers !! I check computer and find audio drivers etc all active and up to date !! Go figure !! Thanks again for the help !!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice