1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to get updates on a legal copy of Office 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by 1techgirl, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a big problem with Microsoft Office Update page? Each time I click on the check for updates button on the home page, this page always comes up

The Office Update Catalog cannot be displayed Help

The Office Update site is currently experiencing some technical difficulties and is unable to check for updates.

Click the Try Again link below to try loading the site again (do not use the Refresh button on your browser to reload the site).

If problems persist, please contact Microsoft Support for assistance. You can also search for Office updates in the Download Catalog.

Try Again

I have a legal copy, and I also remember verifying that mine is a legal copy through the MS website, so I shouldn't have any problems, to the best of my knowledge. Any ideas? Also, I bought my laptop and MS Office in the UK, but am now living in Spain ~ could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

1techgirl

2. lansens

lansens

I've seen this problem before, if I recall it was a problem with ActiveX and not Microsoft's site. Let me see if I can track down my notes on this one.

3. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

Fantastic! Thanks for your reply ~ superquick!

4. arrrgh2003

arrrgh2003

have you tried disabling your firewall?
    I had the same problem a few months ago and after i disabled Zone Alarm Pro it did the updates no problem.
    After it's finished enable the firewall again (if you use one)

5. lansens

lansens

Sorry I took so long.........

Turns out I can't find my notes on this. I do recall having a problem with Websense (which I doubt is your problem) blind blocking update sites. other than that, I would definitely look into the ActiveX thing I mentioned before. I will keep looking for those notes.

6. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

Ok, thanks again lansens, and I also tried to update office without the firewall as arrgh2003 suggested, but still no joy. I have Spybot, Adaware, Ewido, Spyware blaster and AVG Free edition installed on my ~ I don't suppose this would stop MS's site from trying to run the Active X? Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you soon,

1techgirl

7. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

Hi there arrrgh2003,

Yes, I tried that but still no go I'm afraid, but thanks for your suggestion.

1techgirl

8. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

I tried updating again this week and the darned thing works now! Perhaps something was wrong with the MS site, but at least it works now. Thanks for your interest anyway.

1techgirl

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/424522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice