Solved: unable to install IE7 on XP even after re-install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alanmzifa

Hi, I have tried numerous times to install IE7 but keep getting the error message "the following updates were not installed". The other piece of software that tries and fails to install at the same time is the Windows Malicious Software Removal tool. Windows update has verified with that my software is genuine (via Windows Genuine Advantage). Currently IE6 is installed on an OEM copy of XP with SP2 and all security patches. Firefox is my default browser.

Has anyone experienced this and/or got a solution.

p.s. This has been going on for a few weeks. Yesterday I re-installed XP from scratch as part of a system clean up and have been rebuilding everything but the problem of IE7 not installing is still there.

Are you certain that you have you got XP SP2 installed? You MUST have it for IE7, as well as the Genuine Windows Validation ActiveX control installed.

I would recommend that you set IE6 to be your default browser (temporarily) manually visit the Windows update site, get all of the updates post SP2 EXCEPT IE7 (there will be 60+ of them) restart, then go back and get IE7 as a separate installation.

If that fails download IE7 installer from the MS site and do it that way.

alanmzifa

thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have all the updates, SP2, the OS has been validated after install and again by Windows Genuine Adantage (now many, many times).

Solution

Since posting this question I had a stab again at doing it a different way. I use Zone Alarm 6.5 ish and I suspected it might be causing a problem just for these 2 updates. In the log it seemed that svc.exe was being blocked but at the same time could not be added to the "trusted zone" (even though IE6 was not) so during another IE7 install attempt I shut down Zone Alarm temporarily. Install completed and IE7 was there after compulsory restart!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online