1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to Install Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kolias, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I just re installed windows 8.1 on my new SSD and all went fine except that I just can’t re install my Epson wireless NX230 printer. When I bought 6 months ago my Asus K750J laptop never had a problem installing the printer.

The installation program from the DVD says it encountered a problem and I must reboot which I do and the same message repeats. The network light on the printer is ON which indicates that the printer is connected to my network but I’m missing the driver

I downloaded the driver from Epson and I get the same problem

Any ideas where to look for?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Have you downloaded the combo package
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportDownloading.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&licenseoid=17774&download=https%3a%2f%2fftp.epson.com%2fdrivers%2fepson14857.exe&pn=Epson+Stylus+NX230&pc=Epson+Stylus%26%230174%3b+Series&ft=Recommended+For+You&returnpage=%2fsupport%2fsupDetail.jsp&returnparams=%26infoType%3dDownloads%26oid%3d182103%26platform%3dOSF_W_8_1-32

Description: This file contains everything you need to use your Epson Stylus NX230 wirelessly or wired.

This combo package consists of the following items:

• Printer Driver v6.92
    • Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.781
    • Epson Event Manager v2.50
    • Network Installer
    Compatible Systems: Windows 8.1 32-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, Windows XP 64-bit

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Yes that’s the package I downloaded and I have tried unsuccessfully many ways to do the install like login with admin account and safe boot. My OS is windows 8.1 (x64)

I’m very surprised because the printer package was very easy to install before including in my older Dell laptop and my desktop and right now all working good except my new Asus K750J laptop.

Right now when I try to install the printer download it says “Printer driver can’t be installed”. I disable the Firewall and took the ownership of the Temp and Install folders just in case I will be lucky but no luck again

A couple of things I suspect could be creating the problem: As I mentioned I did a clean install and after I right clicked each applet on the start screen and delete them since I have no use for them. But most important is my user account.

When I go to the users account in the control panel, I see my user account with the name I did create that account but when I go to the files explorer under User directory the account I created is not listed but there is an account with my first name and I don’t know how that was created, certainly not by me. Perhaps this difference, I mean by having two different user accounts, may create a confusion and the printer package is not installed?

BTW I’m not very familiar with windows 8.1 but had no choice when I bought my laptop 5 months ago – all laptops had 8.1. Prior to that I had Vista Home

Thanks for the help

4. Macboatmaster

I am about to sign off
    At this time I cannot follow exactly what you have done

On the start screen or tiles start screen - you cannot delete - those tiles
    you can unpin from start OR in respect of those items that are not part of the system you can uninstall
    An example of the first being the File Explorer tile
    and an example of the latter being the calendar tile - just as an example

The user account issue puzzles me at this time
    When you go Control Panel User accounts is your account that you are logged in with shown as your user name and having the indication
    Administrator.

If it is right click that driver exe file and click run as admin.

If your account is shown as administrator - then I suspect a problem with your account profile
    Go back to Control Panel and user accounts then click manage another account

then click add a new user in pc settings
    then on the window that opens click add an account
    that will take you to the window for inserting an email address for a microsoft account
    DO NOT do that
    click sign in without a Microsoft account
    then on the next window
    click Local account
    go from there to establish this new user with admin rights
    REBOOT after completing that and sign I with the NEW local account

Then try and see if that user name is shown and install the printer from there

If that works, you have a choice - you can either copy your personal data NOT the whole user folder - to the new account and eventually delete the existing one that for some reason is NOT ONLY failing to install the driver - but also has this apparent problem with the name

OR you can simply start all over again with the install of 8.1
    presuming of course that you have only just done that in the first place

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Sorry for the trouble, I will try to be more clear

I know on the start screen some icons you can only unpin and some uninstall, I just mentioned here the removal of some icons in case it was important

The user account it is a puzzle for me too. In the Users Account at the control panel I have 3 accounts shown. One is “MyAsus” with administrator rights, the other one is the “Administrator” and I have a “Guest” account.

“MyAsus” is the account I do my daily work and the “Administrator” account only shows when I invoke the command “net user administrator /active:yes” thru the command prompt. The “Guest” account is a typical guest account

Now when I go to the windows file explorer and select the Users folder which shows all users on my laptop, the administrator and guest accounts are there but instead of “MyAsus” it shows “Nick” which is my first name and I don’t know how it got there

Anyway I did follow your instructions and created a new account with admin rights and after reboot I try the printer install again and it said “Printer can’t be Installed” which is the same as before

So I guess its best to start the windows re install again

Thanks for your time

6. Macboatmaster

Have you tried the right click and run as admin

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

When I’m in the control panel / user account and I rightclick on the account I’m logged nothing happens. I only have here MyAsus and Guest accounts plus the new one I made last night. MyAsus and the one from last night are admin accounts password protected. There is no “Nick” account here which is only shown in the windows file explorer under the Users directory and I think that’s the problem

When I boot and I come to the login screen, the only accounts shown are MyAsus and the one from last night. So I pick one, type the password and now I’m logged into one of these account. But when I try to install the printer, perhaps I’m wrong, but I think the install program knows the account I’m logged and tries to install the files into that directory. But this directory does not exist since in the windows file explorer the only users directory is “Nick” and therefore the printer install stops

So I think the next step is to re install windows

8. Macboatmaster

NO sorry for the misunderstanding
    Right click on the file for the driver - on the install file and then click run as admin

Installing the driver on your system:

1. Open the folder containing the downloaded file in File Explorer.
    2. Right-click the downloaded ZIP-file and then click Extract All Files. Double-click the folder that has the same name as the downloaded file.
    3. Right-click the setup.exe or install.exe file and click Run as administrator. When prompted, click Yes or Allow to continue to start the installation routine.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform the installation.
    5. Restart the system when the installation is complete.
    as above = not necessarily all of it - it depends on what the driver file is from Epsom - as at 3

9. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I did the right click and choose run as admin but the printer package is an .EXE and when I click it runs and have no control to only extract the zip files. In any case I think this download is now locked because when I click it no matter what I do it says “this printer package can’t be installed”

10. Macboatmaster

I did not suggest - zip files with respect I said - what you do depends on the nature of the driver file from Epsom
    When you say - you have no control to only extract the zip files
    What I sent you was a copy and paste of generic install instructions for drivers on windows 8.1 - MY ERROR in not making that clear - I am sorry
    I therefore stressed - not necessarily all it depends on the driver file - as at 3.
    - Right click and click run as admin

On Windows 8 and 8.1 although you are signed in with a user account with admin rights certain actions still require extra admin authorisation - that is why the right click menu has - run as admin on it

please see my screenshot
    If you have right clicked and click run as admin and then when the window opens, do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer - you click YES and the Epsom install window opens

If that has not solved it then the issue is not merely just the admin authority

This
    is also puzzling as the system admin account does not show in control panel user accounts until it is enabled with the cmd you mention
    So if there is in User Accounts THREE accounts - without that cmd being issued or indeed after it has been issued with NO and the system rebooted - then the account Administrator is NOT the system account

I tend to agree that at some stage the install procedure has gone wrong or the setup procedure is wrong.

One other possibility - what antivirus are you using.

Attached Files:

11. Macboatmaster

12. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

That’s ok, I thank you for your time

I know about the image you sent me regarding the command “run as admin” and I use it quite often as needed but did not help with the printer installation

As far as I know the Admin account is hidden and only visible when I run the command in an elevated cmd prompt “net user administrator /active:yes”. This account has its own password

I have been using window based PC’s since the late 80’s and I never use any antivirus software and neither got ever infected with any malware. I do my MS updates regularly, I disconnect from the Internet when I don’t need it, I put the PC to sleep when not in use and only open emails which I know where they are from. It is only my opinion but antivirus software are to me more of a nuisance than of any good

Looking in my notes I took during the fresh windows installs I can realize now that the directory “Nick” is the main problem because I had instances where other software utilities did not want to install plus I could not change the pictures on the Start screen or my User account and all this because I was signed as MyAsus but there was no directory created under MyAsus User account.

First thing I will do after the new re install is to make sure that I have a files directory with same name as the account I signed in

13. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Good luck with it

14. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

It is all done and only took less than 30 minutes to format the C:\ and install a fresh windows 8.1.

The Asus Backtracker is a restore utility only for Asus PC’s and it’s a quite good one because it guides you to copy the OS into a USB and tells you in details how to restore. The first time I did the install I pressed the escape key during the boot and then I choose the USB, then it format my SSD and HDD and installed the OS into the SSD (C:). Today by accident I run the utility from within windows and now it gave a few options which I liked. The 1st option is to format both disks yes or no and I said NO and so I kept all the programs I had on my D: The 2nd option was to refresh the OS or perform a clean install and I choose the clean install

It took less than 30 minutes and then the OS started to configure itself and ask me question. One of the questions was if I want to have the OS to search my network for installed devices and I said yes. Well it picked my Epson printer and it is now installed and working. Perhaps last week when I did my 1st install the printer was OFF but today by accident I had left it ON.

I now have a new user account with admin privileges and this account has a directory under the User directory like it supposed to be. I was able now to choose the pictures I want for my user account and start screen and before these function did not work because I had no files directory with my user account.

I spent 3 days trying to fix the printer problem but now I’m happy because I learned the importance of the User account

Thank you for the help

15. Macboatmaster

Pleased it is working
    Sorry I could not sort it without the re-install
    If indeed it could have been so sorted

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice