1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to Join Exsisting HomeGroup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jo50, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jo50

jo50 Thread Starter

My system information is as follows (from TSG SysInfo)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2302 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 104473 MB, Free - 60635 MB; D: Total - 51856 MB, Free - 45216 MB; H: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 354401 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation , D865GLC , AAC27501-408 , BTLC40811880
    Antivirus: None

I am networked to a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

I have created a HomeGroup on the Laptop. When I try to Join the HomeGroup I get a message saying Windows 7 cannot create the HomeGroup.

Runing the HomeGroup troubleshooter produces an error message stating that the system time is not equal to local time.

I have previously synch the clocks on each system with an atomic clock.

Anyone have experience with this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Strange. How about telling us the exact steps you take until you get the error message, please.

3. jo50

jo50 Thread Starter

1. I created the homegroup on my laptop (I have also tried to create the homegroup on my desktop).
    2. I open the Network and Sharing center.
    3. There I find beside the HomeGroup entry an Available to Join.
    4. I click on the Available to Join and am taken to a page Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>HomeGroup
    5. I click on Task Bar Clock>Adjust Time and Date>Internet Time and I synchronize the clock using time-a.nist.gov on both the laptop and the desktop.
    6. I click on Join Now and get a window with choices of items to share. I leave the default and click Next.
    7. I get a window asking the password, I enter it and after triple checking it I click next. The process takes about 35 seconds and produces the error message in the attached file.

Attached Files:

4. jo50

jo50 Thread Starter

Thank you for your fast response to my last post.

I know of no way to create a HomeGroup without the use of a password. This is one of the key features of a HomeGroup.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My own suspicion is a non-Windows firewall or security suite somehow gumming up the works.

However, I "always" suspect the firewall, so first look at this thread, especially TheOutcaste's post #5 and the link he provides. Also see his post # 16.

6. jo50

jo50 Thread Starter

I have tried the fixes in the post you left, but still unable to join homegroup. I have run the troubleshooter but still no results.
    BTW, I think it is an idiotic requirement to synchronize the clocks of the two computers you are trying to join together in a homegroup.

So I am giving up on homegroups.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Normal" old fashioned file sharing works well with Windows 7 so there is no need for Homegroups if they misbehave. :)

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

When clocks are not synced between two devices bad things happen with files. They become corrupt.

9. jo50

jo50 Thread Starter

Had not thought about that. Thanks for your reply. I guess synchronized clocks are a good thing, then.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice