1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to locate component

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jsslive, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsslive

jsslive Thread Starter

For almost every file I have on my computer, I get an error message that often doesn't let me access the file.

For example:

It says...
    rundll32.exe - Unable to Locate Component
    This application failed to start because netbmrgxkmb.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

The problem is that this happens with every application I try to open. Some still work, but many do not (like Firefox, Time/date on my computer, System Restore, etc)

I have searched everywhere online for this file but cannot seem to find it.

Please help.

Much appreciated. I have Windows XP by the way

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If you can access the Internet, download and run Autoruns. Find the entry and uncheck it.

Then,

Please click here to download and install version 2.0.2 of the HijackThis Installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

3. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Did you scan your pc for virus/malware? If not, do a decent scan with stuff like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware etc and then post back.
    Maybe someone can post more specific links to good AV scanners?

4. jsslive

jsslive Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. The problem is I cannot open winzip. Autoruns seems to be a winzip file. :(

Any work arounds?

I have run scans for malways, spywayre, etc...It definitely found many, but I am wary if that will really fix the problem.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

A compressed file can be opened by right-clicking on the file and selecting Extract All.

6. jsslive

jsslive Thread Starter

I am sorry for my apparent ignorance here. The file is a .zip file. I saved it to my desktop. Right clicking it does not give me an "Extract All" option. The only feasible option for me is to open it/extract it via winzip. When I click this the error msg comes on again, preventing me from opening winzip.

Thanks for your help here...What should I do to get around this?

Jeff

7. jsslive

jsslive Thread Starter

ah wait...never mind...I found an autoruns site that lets me run it as a .exe file. No extraction required. Let me get back to you...

Thanks

8. jsslive

jsslive Thread Starter

Using Autoruns, I cannot find the file netbmrgxkmb.dll anywhere in this list...
    Could it be that it is looking for a file that does not exist?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!