1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to log on to computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Johnspats48, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnspats48

Johnspats48 Thread Starter

Hello,

I tried to log on to my computer by clicking on my desktop icon. As soon as I clicked it I got this message " The user Profile Service failed the logon User Profile cannot be loaded".

There are 2 other users on the computer and are able to access their desktops no problem. Is there a fix and how did this happen?

Thanks
    John H.

2. samaycsa

samaycsa

Hello John H,

Have you tried deleting your Windows Seven profile on your machine ? Are you an administrator on your machine ?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

4. Johnspats48

I have not tried that, and no I am not the administrator, My wife is. We can view my profile from her desktop. Will deleting the profile erase my desktop?

5. Johnspats48

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yes, of course. It can be one of the causes of the error message you get.

7. samaycsa

samaycsa

Deleting your profile will delete your desktop icons, as well as things such as your Internet Explorer favorites and some other customizations you might have in Microsoft Office (Word Macros, Excel templates etc and maybe your MyDocuments folder also).

In order to be safe, you can make a copy of your profile folder somewhere before deleting it. In Windows7 your profiles folder is typically located at C:\Users\YourUserNameHere. You can copy this folder to an alternate location such as C:\Temp directory. You can log in with your own account to make the copy or even use your wife's admin account.

Also, to delete your corrupt profile, follow the following procedure:

- Restart your computer (Yes this is important to clear any hooks in your profile sometimes)
    - Log on to the machine with an admin account (other than the profile account you want to delete)
    - Click on the Start Button then right click My Computer and choose Properties
    - Click on "Advanced System Settings"
    - Under user profiles section, click on Settings
    - Highlight the user profile you want to delete and click the Delete button

The profile is now deleted, now you can log on again with your username and password and it will create a fresh profile for you and I am sure this time you will be able to see your desktop.

Let us know of your results!
    Good Luck :)

8. samaycsa

samaycsa

Just following up John.. did you have any luck ?

9. Johnspats48

We did, We were able to delete the profile (after copying the needed Files). We had to go through the registrry to do it but we or I should say my wife was succesful.

I do want to thank You for your insight and advice. You were very helpful.

10. Johnspats48

Thank You TerrNet for all the assistance you have given us in getting my profile back up and running. Thank You fo rthe article from Microsoft. My wife was able to remedy the situation by going through the registry.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :) Glad we could help.

12. samaycsa

samaycsa

You are welcome ! Glad to be of help :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992384