1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to Ping, but connected to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by danmcman, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever run into an instance where you have a pc connected to a network (correct IP/sub/gateway, can access the internet) and are unable to get a Ping response back from it.

I just explained over the phone to someone how to connect their computer to a network I help manage. They are in another state, so I can't exactly go over to the machine and look at it myself. However, they were able to follow instructions, get connected to the wireless network, receive the right IP from the wireless DHCP, access the internet, access other servers on the network.. But when I try to ping or scan the network for the computer, it does not show up. This is important because there is a piece of remote management software running on the computer that I need to connect to and make further changes on. I can see all of the other computers on the network, but not this one. I cannot remotely connect to the IP either. Packets are sending and receiving from it fine. It's a toshiba portege convertible laptop/tablet using an intel pro wireless card to connect to the network. Any ideas?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Check either the windows firewall or any other 3rd party firewall this will be the cause of the culprit more than likely.

3. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

Windows firewall was the first thing I checked, it was turned off. I'll double check, and see if they find a 3rd party firewall. There's a chance Norton Internet Security could be installed I suppose.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

NIS, Zone Alarm, Mcaffee Internet security suite, the list goes on and on.

If you know for a fact all their IP information is within the scope of that network range and you know they have full internet access a firewall is really the only logical explination.

5. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Stumped :) Norton Protection Center overrides Windows Firewall settings. Norton turns it on, even though it says its Off in Control Panel--->Windows Firewall.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice