1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Solved} - Unable to Ping Default Gateway on Multi-homed Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chrism374, Oct 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrism374

Chrism374 Thread Starter

I have a small network with a multi-homed server. The 1st NIC on the server has an IP address of 192.168.2.1 and the default gateway was set to 192.168.2.7. The Second NIC card has an IP of 10.0.2.7 and no default gateway given. The client PC's are configured for DHCP, and when they log in, are successfully given an IP address and the default gateway I assigned on the first card.
    However, here is where my problem lies:
    The server can ping both cards
    The clients can only ping the 1st card.
    Neither the Server or clients can ping the default gateway.

I have RIP installed, and IP Forwarding marked, so I can't understand why the default gateway is not working.

Anyone know anything on this?

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Ok... since you have not given all the information, let me make a guess at what it is:

192.168.2.7 = IP address of a router to the rest of the world
    10.0.2.x = Internal network

Ok... here is the problem:

You have given the client's the IP address of the router as their router... however, it is NOT on their network.

This is what you need to do:

Change the default gateway settings on the client's machines to the IP address 10.0.2.7 (and add the 198.168.2.1 address as the default gateway on the server).

So... this is how the routing works. I am on a client machine, and I want to talk to the world. I send my packet to my Default gateway (the server). The server then routes it from itself (on the 10.x.x.x network) to that network card's default gateway (the NIC on the 192.168.x.x network). It then goes from that NIC to that NIC's default gateway, 192.168.2.7, and out to the world.

I hope this helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. Chrism374

Chrism374 Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Problem has been solved!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!