1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Unable to read P.O.S.T text

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtbest, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtbest

jtbest Thread Starter

Win XP/P4/Asus/..
    I am unable to read the text at the post startup screen but clears up as soon as XP's first screen comes up.

During restart/start of the system, the text is garbled.

All drivers are up to date.

I have a Matrox P600 Vid card with Dual Monitors (all works fine), And I have the Matrox X10 Video Editing Card (all works fine there too.)

I am pretty sure that it is the Matrox card/ and or/ a setting in the bios... BUT I cannot enter setup to check parameters.

Is there a way to get into Setup/Bios without doing a reset or boot?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jtbest

2. mobo

mobo

If you shut down your system by either unplugging it from the wall socket or flicking off the switch on the back of the power supply you will get a checksum on reboot which should give you time to enter the bios.

3. jtbest

jtbest Thread Starter

Thanks MOBO, but its not a question of time to enter bios... its that the text is unreadable thus I cannot navigate within it. I can see just enough to know that Im there but cannot see what Im doing.
    Thanks for the help.

jtbest

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I hope this is silly but.....
    You have tried turning up the brightness and contrast on the screen, haven't you??

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like a monitor problem, where its having problems at 640 x 480 resolution. Its probably losing synchronisation and tearing.

If it has a horizontal / vertical hold adjustment it would fix it, but sadly not many do now.

Test the theory by setting your Windows to 640 x 480.
    Make sure its set to auto resume if not accepted in 15 seconds though or you will not be able to see to correct it.

Try another monitor.

6. jtbest

jtbest Thread Starter

Thanks yall.
    Problem was Matrox Vid Card Bios Update AND Bug Fix.
    Matrox is harder to get a reply from than the Whitehouse, but finally got the answer and now all is well again.

Jtbest

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice