1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to reformat computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crahs8, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crahs8

crahs8 Thread Starter

So the story goes like this:
    I just finished a computer yesterday. Everything worked brilliant and installed some programs and games. Then suddenly in the middle of a game computer crashes. naturally i restart my computer and it tells me that it needs to reboot. So i reboot my computer and everything is seemingly fine, but almost no programs could start. So I reboot my computer a couple of times. But it was still broken. I then go windows' i don't what it's called in english but something like 'Solving center' and it says that there's an error. So i click the button to fix it. Ever since i have never been able to get into windows. I have tried many different solving solutions from a windows cd and the system reserved thing. I then decided that i would reformat my harddrive, but I keep getting error messages showing different errors. The drive is an ssd and i also have a hdd in my computer

Can anybody help me?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to do;
    1 Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, what ram is installed, exact pw supply installed, etc, etc. No one knows what we are working on other than you.

2 Next you do not reformat a ssd type drive; you secure erase the drive. I use parted magic linux to do the secure erase however there are a lot of ways to accomplish this task.

3 Have you tested your ram with something like memtest? If not, then do so. This runs from bootable media so no need to even have an os.
    http://www.memtest.org/

3. crahs8

crahs8 Thread Starter

Full system specs:
    Disc Drive: LiteOn iHAS124
    HDD: Western Digital HD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM WD10EZEX
    RAM: G.skill Sniper series 8gb (2x4gb)
    GPU: Msi N670 GTX PE
    Case: Zalman Z11 plus
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Exteme4 ATX
    Powersuply: XFX PRO Edition XXX series 850W
    Aftermarket cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    SSD: KINGSTON SSD 120GB HyperX 3K SATA3

Also bare in mind that i already deleted everything on my ssd because i suck at those things. I am pretty sure it's my ssd that's the problem, as it was also what windows pointed out when i still had that installed. I'll do the memtest later when i have time.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked and it looks like your board has two different sata controllers; an asmedia and the intel controller. You do have the ssd connected to the intel ports on the board correct?

5. crahs8

crahs8 Thread Starter

Yes, both my hdd and ssd is connected to the intel ports.

6. crahs8

crahs8 Thread Starter

So i started memtest. Without knowing anything about it, I think itf's bad. Look at the attatched photo

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that is bad. Try each chip individually to see which one failed [possibly both]

I checked and the specs show a standard voltage setting for that memory [1.5V] If the label on the chip says different, make sure you set the voltage as per the label on the chip. This is a setting in the bios. As I said it should say 1.5V so no change should need to be made however do check the label on the chip.

8. crahs8

crahs8 Thread Starter

I found the bad stick and is sending it in. Thanks! :)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice