1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to Run Network Setup Wizard

Discussion in 'Networking' started by carrothersju, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrothersju

carrothersju Thread Starter

Recently, my brother had a friend over who wanted to use the family computer. He told my brother repeatedly that he knew ways to get around Windows XP's log-in password checks, so I assume he attempted to maliciously get in.

My brother reports that when he attempted, all my brother could see what him using Control + Alt + Delete or some combination of the keys.

Well, as you may guess, the computer is no longer working the way it was intended. Only one error message is given on start-up, and that is that "Norton Protection Services failed to start up".

The access to the internet seems to be the problem. We run a two computer network with a very basic set-up to access the cable modem. My computer can access the network just fine.

Their main problem is an inability to run the Network set-up wizard. They essentially have no network connection. Physical errors have been checked and deemed not the problem. The network card is attached firmly, and the system manager recognizes it. The CAT5 cables are all attached well, too, because the router and network card show lights.

Any time I try to run the Network Set-Up wizard, the computer either does nothing or freezes up, restarting explorer.exe.

What's wrong here?

2. DBClark

DBClark

What's wrong here? DON'T LET YOUR BROTHERS FRIEND MESS WITH YOUR COMPUTER! :D

Hard to tell what he did. Have you tried a system restore point closest to the time that he messed it up?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Going further than DBClark, I'd say your brother's friend should be banned from your house.

If restoring to a point before that attack doesn't work, don't bother with the Network Setup wizards yet--they are best for setting up a workgroup after a network (access to your router and the internet) have already been established.

I'd start by doing ipconfig /all from a command window. If you are not familiar enough with IP configurations to compare it with your working computer, then on the problem computer:

ipconfig /all >c:\config.txt

Copy the resulting config.txt file to a removable medium so that you can copy and past the contents here using your good computer.

The Norton failure to start is yet another problem; I'd work on internet access first. Then maybe uninstall Norton and reinstall it.

4. carrothersju

Haven't had a chance to really diagnose anything with this new information, but here's a small update that I do know. When I try to access the network from the broken computer, it can see itself on the network. Previously, it could not see my computer, and it still can't, so no change there.

Should I try accessing the router via Firefox from my computer to see whether or not the router recognizes the computer?

5. Shamou

Shamou

6. carrothersju

The fault with Norton isn't the major problem, I don't think. I simply included that as maybe a clue as to what might be wrong.

The main trouble is that the computer can't connect to the internet, at all. Whenever I encounter a computer that previously could connect to the internet but now can't, I simply re-run the Network Wizard.

The problem is, that won't run. At all. The system hangs up when I try to run it.

I don't think doing restore points is a viable solution, as my family never backs things up or sets up restore points.

If forced to, the computer works fine enough that we can back up everything and reformat. However, I don't think it's really necessary to reformat just to get the silly wizard up and running. :cool:

When I get around to playing with it, I'll try the IPconfig route, but that won't solve the Network Wizard problem, will it? I'd like to have that up and running, because that's the default thing my mother and brother use if the computer can't connect for some reason. It always seems to help.

7. Shamou

Shamou

I may be wrong but I still think that if you cannot connect to the internet it is because your firewall is not working properly. Why don't you try disabling your firewall and try connecting to the internet and see if it works.
    Shamou

8. carrothersju

She's disabled her firewalls, and it's working. Surfing the net without a firewall isn't reccommended though, so what say we do now?

9. Shamou

Shamou

Go to this site: http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer/...sultType=5000#
    and they will give you instruction as to how you can reset your Firewall to its initial configuration. And before you can re-enable your Firewall, you can also use Windows Firewall... also, I seem to recall that you have a router, if so, I believe that you are quite protected by that... at least for a short period of time.
    Shamou
    PS.- If you do not know how to activate Microsoft Firewall, follow these instructions:
    Go to START, then choose ALL PROGRAMS, then ACCESSORIES, then SYSTEM TOOLS, open SECURITY CENTER, click on WINDOW FIREWALL, in circle choose, ON (RECOMMENDED), then click OK.

10. Shamou

Shamou

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice