1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to Save As a file in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by slarti, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

We get this message when trying to Save As a new file from an existing file:

"The folder foldername isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the file name contains a / or \."

I have been to Miscrosoft site and followed their hotfix instructions, still happens, but intermittently. Has anyone had this before?

2. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

Also, it does it in the morning and then fixes itself and is fine for the rest of the day. There are no background jobs running that interfere with it. The file can be saved just not AS something else.

3. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi slarti,

check the default flie location under Tools\Options\General.

it may be pointing to a non-existing directory?

Cheers
    Hew

4. SpiXener

SpiXener

if it keeps throwing you weird error like this one, maybe a uninstall/reinstall would do something better... ;)

5. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

I have re-installed Office, done updates, etc. It is saving to a file on a server. I got it to save on the C: no problem. Once I get it to "Save As" it goes for the rest of the day. Can't get a hold of this one, kicking my butt.

6. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

Tried it from another profile, worked fine. I am going to rename the Office registry keys and let them rebuild. If that doesn't work I will wipe the user profile and let it rebuild. Should've thought of that earlier ;)

7. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Could be a mess up with the per-user settings as suggested. Which directory are you trying to save to?

8. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

Okay, wiped out the profile. worked intermittently. I tried from two other profiles and it started to do it 1 out of 4 times from those. I have rebuilt Office registry keys, rebuilt profiles, checked permissions, tried it from other PCs, re-installed office, performed updates, ran virus/spyware scans, and checked file and User Shell paths. I am fresh out of ideas.

9. soven

soven

We are having hte same problem with our network, since cant seem to fix it - we just copy the file to paste it on hte server!
    Would be great to know how to fix it!

10. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

I replaced the PC. seems to be working for now, but it's only been a day. We don't really have Office 2003 out there yet. This is the first user that uses it heavily.

11. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

NOt working again. I think that there is some setting in 2003 that causes this. It's almost like a security feature. I have now been able to repeatedly save to the C: drive without error. Once I save to the C: drive, I can usuallySave As to the Network fine. Logout and it stasrts all over again.:confused: :( :mad:

12. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

Okay, I found a forum post about hunting down the hotfix KB885250 and removing. I did this and rebooted. No help. I then checked some Novell client settings and turned off DOS long name file support. Rebooted. This seems to have worked in two of the profiles. Will find out if it works in the user's profile tomorrow.

This is happening quite a bit, no real rhyme or reason. Different fixes seem to work for different people. The files are on a Novell Share on a Novell Server but others are having this problem with 98 shares, Frontpage (on the web servers) etc.

Loads of fun!:(

13. slarti

slarti Thread Starter

That fixed it!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/423535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice