1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to scan wirelessly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kronenwetter, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kronenwetter

kronenwetter Thread Starter

I have recently installed Pixma MP560 Cannon in order to scan wirelessly. I can print just fine wirelessly, as well as save to my PC with a USB cord, however when I try to use Navigator wirelessly I get an error that reads:

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
    Scanner is turned off
    Scanner is disconnected
    (It is disconnected from LAN, if using LAN.)
    Please check and try again.
    Scanner driver will be closed
    Code:5,145,55

I'm not sure if this is normal but in my ''Printers & Scanners'' window my printer is listed twice, but with different names:

The first represents the USB connection and is defaultly named ''Canon MP560 series printer'' while the second is for wireless and is defaultly named ''Canon MP560 series printer WS.''

The reason I know that these two different icons represent the two different connection methods is because before I activated the wireless printing the one labeled ''Canon MP560 series printer'' was listed by its self and no wireless capability was possible. Then after turning on wireless capability on the printer and after shutting it down and turning it back on I went into my network folder (without USB cable connected) and there was an icon for my canon printer. I right-clicked and selected install. That is when the second or ''Canon MP560 series printer WS'' came up.

Anyway, I have a feeling that the Navigator program is only accessing the USB printer driver and not the wireless one because I have functionality of the MP Navigator using the USB cable but none when I try to scan wirelessly. I can also print wirelessly so I know the wireless driver is working properly and that my usbscan.sys in my system as well.

I am operating with a Vista OS.

Whatever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The problem I think is happening is that the Navigator program is trying to access the USB printer instead of the wireless one

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a Canon installation package, right? It sounds like you installed the entire multi-function printer initially, but when you switched to wireless all you did is install the printer, not the entire package. If so, then you have to at least install the scanner (wireless).

3. kronenwetter

No, I think this has something to do with Firewall or other virus protection software (Spyware Doctor). I have two other laptops and was able to install the Cannon software and use the scanner wireless on those PCs, but had to use administrator password to get it to work. On this PC, it never asks for a password, so somehow my PC is blocking the scanning, but allowing printing.

4. megamoonflake

megamoonflake

Hey I'm having the same issue, same error code,etc have you managed to resolve it yet?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

megamoonflake, if you have an issue, please start your own thread.

6. kronenwetter

No, I haven't. I'll try reinstalling and see what happens.

7. kronenwetter

I resolved by Uninstalling the Cannon print/scan/copy software and my anti-virus software (PC Tools Spyware Doctor), then reinstalled the Cannon software and it worked fine. I thne switch anti-virus software to AVG.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

So you got it all working?

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. kronenwetter

Yes, works fine now...print, copy and scan.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice