Solved: Unable to set IP using DHCP - cannot connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HOBOcs

Jim
I've got a pc (XP Pro) that I cannot get to connect to the internet.
I've set the network connection properties to get an ip address automatically but it keeps geting the default (I think or something else)...
I've tried setting it to a specific address in my network range and still notable to connect.

I've run all the latest updates for adaware, cwshedder, ewido, trying kaspersky now.

I've also run lspfix, and winsockfix but nothing.
The only thin that bothers me is in the Status window - its says Autmatic Private Addressing .. I was expecting to see address "Address assigend by DHCP"
This is a dial up pc which I've just added to my network to trouble shoot other things.
(I've set the connection to "Not dail a connection"

Any help direction appreciated.

You don't mention alot of things - Is this wired or wireless? If this is wired have you tried different ports, cables and other equipment? If this is wireless did you address security I.E. setup all the correct things in the router/wap to enable it to connect?

I've run all the latest updates for adaware, cwshedder, ewido, trying kaspersky now.
(Did you do this part manually? These do connect to the internet to update so you may have internet ocnne ction but just not be able to browse? Or did you just use that dial up?)

Since you said this was dial up did you check all of the Network adapter settings to make sure its not disabled anywhere?

HOBOcs

Jim
I'm on a wired network and I have disables all the dialup settings so that it uses my lan connections. I haven't tried changing any ports (good suggestion as the hub I'm using gets pulled around alot.... and the cable could have come loose)

I'm on now, I did a couple of things all at the same time - changed ports nothing, then played around with releaseing & renewing IP addresses an I've been able to get in.
Did the same yesterday and nothing.

Oh well, I must have missed something... regardless I on the net and now to trouble shoot the oringinal prob.

Thanks for the look see anyways. A loose cable may have been it. (funny how you miss the obviouse sometimes)
Thanks
(y)

Marking resolved

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online