1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to start Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fieldrep, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fieldrep

fieldrep Thread Starter

After loading an updated version of QuickBooks today, I attempted to restart my computer and received this error message:
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEMS32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

Attempted "typical recovery methods", then inserted Reinstallation CD for Windows XP Professional (SP2) that came with DELL computer (pre-installed). Followed steps to "Welcome to Setup" blue screen. Pressed r to repair. Followed steps to chkdsk /r command. Process began.

After process reached 38%, there was no more activity---for almost 1.5 hours. Seemed frozen.
    Turned off computer.

Tried, unsucessfully, to follow Microsoft instructions found online. At the Recovery Console command prompt, created 'md tmp', then attempted to "copy c:", etc. Each time I entered a "copy c:" line, I was given the message: "Cannot copy...". Not sure if this is happening because I have a DELL disk, rather than original Windows XP disk?!?!? If so, any way around this?

HELP! What, oh, what can I do???:confused:

2. flashsnaps

flashsnaps

Seems that the drive is not responding properly.

You might need to run a diagnostic tool on the drive first and then re-try the steps that you have tried above.

What is the harddrive manufacture? I'll post you a link to the right utility

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. fieldrep

fieldrep Thread Starter

Looks like its a WDC... (WD800JD75HKA1)

5. aerain

aerain

Most definitely a Hard drive problem...use the WD Diagnostics tools off of their site. It will attempt to repair the bad sectors. In the meantime, you may need to purchase a new hard drive.

6. fieldrep

fieldrep Thread Starter

(y)Thanks for your help, everyone! Put in a new HD, and sucessfully recovered needed info from damaged HD...:)

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good work. Be sure to test that old one thoroughly if you plan to try to use it. But the trash may be the best idea.

8. fieldrep

fieldrep Thread Starter

Taking no chances---into the garbage it has gone, after a bit of hammer-induced destruction! Increased my HD capacity & RAM while I was at it, so feel rather satisfied!

Thanks!

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, there are bright sides to these things. Even re-installing is like a nice, hot shower if your machine is a mess.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!