1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unable to sync to time server - RPC server is unavailable (but more)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iissmart, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

XP Pro SP2, all latest updates. When I reboot, I can correctly sync to a time server, but after an unknown amount of time it goes back to saying "The RPC server is unavailable" instantly after clicking Update Now, regardless of what server I tell it to sync to. I also noticed that if I view my nForce Networking Controller status, then click Properties and go to the Authentication tab, everything is greyed out. If I hit OK without changing anything (I can't change it even if I wanted to), a message pops up saying "An unexpected condition occured. Not all of your requested changes in settings could be made" and just goes back to that window. I have to hit cancel to close it. These two issues seem to be related since right after I reboot, the Authentication tab works normally (as well as the time sync like I mentioned above), and they both seem to stop working at the same time. I have no idea if it happens after something I run or if it's just after a certain amount of time or what. Any ideas?

2. Hammerz

Hammerz

I have the same problem exactly. There is an article at Ed Bott's Windows Expertise (http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1779) tyhat discusses problems with the Windows time Server, but nothing he suggested worked for me. It just won't update...no matter what server I choose.

3. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

I found a temporary workaround for my problem, actually. As it turns out, my Windows Time service was randomly stopping, which resulted in the RPC Server unavailable error. So what I did to fix this was:

1) Navigate to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
    2) Scroll down to the Windows Time service, right click it, and click Properties
    3) Go over to the Recovery Tab, and set the First Failure, Second Failure, and Subsequent Failures all to the "Restart the Service" option.

That way, when it randomly stops, it restarts itself. So I didn't really fix the problem, because I don't know why it's stopping in the first place, but at least I don't have to worry about it anymore. Hopefully this helps you too :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!