1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Unable to view Jpeg images

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jballou, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

What do I need to do to view Jpeg images on the internet. I can view GIF images but not Jpeg.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jballou
    You did not define what OS you are running or if you are using Internet Explorer so I will assume it is IE and either Win9x or WinME. What may of happened is the MIME content type which IE uses to define an image for display may of been altered by a graphics program or the registry entry became corrupt. Anyway it is worth a try to re-establish the content type.

-------------------------------
    Backup registry first
    -------------------------------
    Creating a true backup of registry.
    Step 1- Start\Run, type in scanregw and hit enter
    Step 2- Ignore the message that a backup already exists for today and let it create a new backup
    Note: That creates a Rbxxx.cab backup file that you can restore back from using scanreg /restore
    If problem should occur you can boot to DOS Win98\98SE or use you WinME bootdisk and select Minimal support, then type in Scanreg /restore and select the restore point you created before change.

----------------------------------
    Create and use Reg file
    ----------------------------------

If you are using Win9x or WinME you use the registry change as instructed below otherwise Ignore!
    Step 1- Open a notepad and minimize it.
    Step 2- Copy the information between the dotted lines but do not copy the dotted lines.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
    "Content Type"="image/jpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
    "Content Type"="image/jpeg"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Step 3- Maximize the previously minimized notepad and paste the contents to it.
    Step 4- Click the file button up top and select the save as tab
    Step 5- In the name box type regchange.reg and direct the save to your desktop
    Step 6- Close out all applications to desktop and find the newly created reg file. (Should be an Icon with blue building blocks.)
    Step 7- Double left click the regchange.reg file and answer OK to merge.
    Step 8- Once complete go back into IE and see if you can now display Jpeg files.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dave

3. ddraigcoch

ddraigcoch

Go to start, run and type regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll then press enter.

4. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

I'm running windows 98 and AOL on this computer
    what do i need to do for AOL?

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jballou
    The registry edit listed above should make no difference if AOL is being used nor should re-registering the shdocvw.dll as mentioned by ddraigcoch. Being AOL though if the above fix I gave does not correct the problem then someone familiar with AOL will have to help.
    Dave

6. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

that fixed it.
    thanks

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jballou
    Glad to hear you got it fixed.
    Have a great day!

Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/75908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice