Solved: Undeletable Folder (already tried DOS and various software)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crazypilot71

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents, looks like a harmless Documents folder, yet it is not accessible (trying to open I get a pop-up saying "access is Denied")

When I try to erase it I get the windows system folder blah blah blah cannot be deleted.

Then I try into the command prompt, exit explorer from the task manager and attempt a delete with the following command:
C:\rmdir c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents and get:
the system cannot find the path specified

I then tried a program called move on boot, that didn't work, also tried safe mode, that didn't work....I'm running out of things to try!!

Anyone got any more suggestions? Either to remove the folder or just gain access to it (I have a feeling perhaps if I manage to regain access to it I will be able to delete it)

I am using Win XP SP2

Cheers

JF

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
Some random ideas ;)

Are you logged in as admin?

Is is another users folder? A user that is no longer in the system?

Boot to a startup disk...then try and delete the dir?
and
[tsg=welcome]to TSG[/tsg]

crazypilot71

I am logged in as admin, I do not think its from a user I erased.

Some random backround info: I tried leaving it as is, until I realised that Adobe PDF maker would not install because it required the use of that folder specific, which is deniying access to me and any programs who want to use it. I do not recall changing any settings that would make it suddenly turn into a system file or lock me out of it.

Boot disk didnt work.

JF

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
That sounds like a current user folder...if Adobe is trying to install to it. Did you re-name your user account? I believe XP names the user folders at creation, but upon a re-name...only changes the account name, not the folder. (but I'm not 100% sure on that)

Of course, that would not explain the access denial. What happens when you try and look at the folder properties?

sy2

Do you, or did you, have any folder security programs installed on your computer that may have been used to protect that folder? Are you the only user of the system?

crazypilot71

I am not the only user, although I never had any security programs installed to protect that folder. I do not think I renamed that account, since it is in the "All users" folder. When I look at the folder properties I get a very regular read-only, 0 files, 0 bites File Folder. I cannot Share it because access is denied, nor can I rename it, again, access denied.....

Wait, well this is quite the trick, by clicking sharing, I was told access denied, then, removing the tick from the shared box, there was a folder permission modification and everything went back to normal!

Well Thanks anyways guys!

You can mark the thread "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

Thanks for the followup, though we may all be a bit stunned :D.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online