1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Understanding Wireless Lan Cards

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jfriedlund, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfriedlund

jfriedlund Thread Starter

After a LONG time I determined my blue screen of death was related to the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200 listed under network adapters. When it's disabled the computer works fine, when enabled BSOD. I ordered what I thought would replace this, made sure it fit my Compaq EVO N800c laptop. I got a Toshiba Wirelss Lan PCI card which fit perfectly. I went to device manger and uninstalled the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200, installed the Toshiba Wireless Lan PCI card and rebooted. It immediately said I had new hardware but reinstalled the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200 along with the Toshiba Wireless Lan PCI card. I can disable the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200 but my range drops to almost nothing, when I enable it the signal strength immediately jumps but after awhile the BSOD returns. (the codes on the blue screen don't give me anything that I can find through Google to determine anything, but again, through extensive trial and error it's connected to the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200).

What I find strange is the laptop works for a while with the Compaq WLAN enabled and the Toshiba PCI card disabled, good signal but eventually the blue screen returns. As I write this I have both the Compaq WLAN and the Toshiba PCI card enabled.

Anyone have an idea how to stop this problem?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Very weird.
    Might do two things.
    Go to the Compaq site and see if there are current drivers for the multiport.Download and install.
    This may be far out,but boot up in safe mode and see if the problem persists.

3. jfriedlund

I've already gone to Compaq and updated not only the Multiport 200 drivers but made sure all drivers on the computer are up to date. I can boot into safe mode and it works fine, it's just when it connected to the internet wireless that the blue screen returns. If I disable the Compaq Multiport WLAN 200 and enable the Toshiba WLAN Mini PCI card I can get connected but the range is almost nothing away from the wireless router. Is there a way to increase the reception? My wireless router is a Linksys router with range booster now.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

So,correct me if I have misunderstood.
    If you boot up in safe mode with networking(sorry,I just said safe mode before),there is no connection problem?

5. jfriedlund

Yes, even in safe mode with networking, if the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200 is enabled it will blue screen. What is also strange, not in safe mode, but regular mode, the blue screen may not appear for hours or as little as a few minutes after boot up. The only thing I know for sure is it's related to the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A PCI card in a laptop? :confused: What model?

7. jfriedlund

The laptop is a Compaq EVO N800c and the PIC card is a Toshiba WLAN mini PCI

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ahhh. Mini PCI. Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. You physically replaced the Compaq WLAN Multiport 200, but it still shows up in Device Manager?

9. jfriedlund

Yes, I physically removed the card and replaced it with a Toshiba wireless lan mini pc card but both show up on device manager.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Often when you use a different wireless mini-PCI card you cannot boot, or the new card doesn't work, or it doesn't work at all.

Go into the BIOS (Setup) and see if you can clean up anything. I don't know what, but at least disable the non-existent card.

Also, often the driver developed by the wireless adapter manufacturer has to be modified by the PC or motherboard manufacturer to work right in the particular system. Did you find such a driver, or are you using the Toshiba driver and hoping for the best?

11. jfriedlund

I'm not sure what you mean by "go into the BIOS (Setup) to clean things up. Previously in contacting Compac's customer support they had me flash the BIOS. I've been using the driver that apparently came with the Toshiba card. I've looked on the Toshiba site for an update but can't find exactly what Belarc Advisor says I have and I"m afraid I'll download the wrong driver and screw things up even more.

The laptop worked for many hours last night with the Compac Multiport WLAN 200 enabled and the Toshiba Mini PCI Card disabled. I know that sounds crazy since it has the Toshiba card installed, but the signal strength shows strong and although I've used this setting before it resulted in the blue screen it seems to be holding, at least for now.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry. I missed that part about Compac giving you an update to the BIOS.

13. jfriedlund

I don't think I mentioned it in this thread, I've been trying to solve this problem for a long time and just recently narrowed it down to the Compaq Multiport WLAN 200, that's when I contacted Compaq.

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you tried to delete the Compaq muliport in safe mode ?

15. jfriedlund

Yes, when the Compaq multiport is deleted it comes back as "found new hardware" when I reboot. If I disable it I can connect to the internet wirelessly but the range drops to about 10 feet of router. I can't explain why it's working, but I haven't had a blue screen all day. I have the Compaq Multiport WLAN 200 enabled and the Toshiba Mini Lan Card disabled. I'd love to show a screen shot of the device manager but don't know how to attach the shot to this post.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!