1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] unidentifiable alarm after installing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackal969k, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackal969k

jackal969k Thread Starter

I purchased a used computer and have no manual. OS Win ME. It is only used to play card games nothing fancy.

The hard drive was making a racket so I installed a new Maxtor 30gig. My intention was to copy all info from the old drive to the new one, make the new one the master after doing so and just leave the old one in for a slave.

After installing, when I turned on the computer, it started making a beeping sound. There is a small speaker in the bottom of the tower and the beeping sounds like a backup alarm on a forklift. (sorry, only way I know to describe it)

I figured I screwed up putting the new drive in so I changed everything back to the way it was since I couldn't get the computer to do anything. Now when I turn it on, I still get nothing but the alarm. Nothing comes up on the screen. I tried to boot with ME boot disk, but got nothing. There is a reset button on the front of the tower and the alarm will stop beeping when you press it and start again when you release it.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

As always, thank you in advance for your support.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Just a guess here but I think you knocked something loose when you were installing the hard drive. I would reseat the memory, power connections, processory , video board and any other cables in the system and see if you can get the system booting again. Also check that all the fans are plugged in and spinning.

3. jackal969k

Thanks for your response Lurker1. I will try that and let you know what happens. Have a good day.

4. kbaasit

kbaasit

U could also try:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

this page will give you a good description of POST codes. All it sounds that your PC is doing is 'PSOT'g' as all PC's do! one quick beep usually is saying all is ok!

l8r

5. jackal969k

Thanks for all your help. You can marked this one solved. I checked for loose connections etc.. The only thing I didn't change back to the original scenario was the IDE cable. I change the one with the hard drive back to the one that was on the old hard drive and everything worked ok. Thanks again for all your help. You wouldn't expect something brand new to be faulty, but I guess it happens.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice