1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unidentified network is disabling my internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by digival, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digival

digival Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 and have seen other posts on this, but none of the resolutions seem to work for me. I'm unable to connect to the internet - my desktop can view other computers on the network, but the internet is still screwed up. Under active networks it sees my work network, and then one named "Unidentified network." Tech support will fix it, but then upon restart, it goes right back to being disabled.

I've done route delete 0.0.0.0, disabled and troubleshooted the adapter, updated my drivers, disabling the firewall, and there's no bonjour to be found. I'm running out of ideas here - any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to another machine and start the command prompt. Then type "ipconfig". Copy down the two DNS server address and put that in your ipv4 properties. Usually when internet doesn't work it is due to unavailable DNS.

3. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

try also using netsh to reset the tcp/ip stack. into command line, type : netsh int ip reset reset.log and hit enter. then use the following commands and hit enter after each one, then reboot when you're done: ipconfig /release; ipconfig /renew ; ipconfig /flushdns ; ipconfig /registerdns ; netsh winsock reset ; netsh dump ; nbtstat -R
    this will releaase and renew the ip address, flush the dns cache, re-register the dns server,resets the winsock, and i forgot the other two. i use this as a batch file at work, if that doesn't do it, then ask tech support to explain exactly what they did different next time.

4. dai

dai

5. digival

digival Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help, guys!!! Turns out that Bonjour was somehow hidden and we were able to find it and disable it. Damn Apple. Ugh.

6. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!