1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unidentified network No network access

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TResseeS, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TResseeS

TResseeS Thread Starter

Hi. this site had a post of a similar problem, but the suggestion did not fix my problem. So, I thought I might post my problem specifically and see if anyone has any suggestions.
    I have 2 different laptops. both running Windows7 and connecting to the internet wirelessly. within a few days of each other they both began to display "Currently connected to: Unidentified network No network access" and they will not let me get on the internet. It is not my router becuase It shows the same thing no matter where I try to connect. I have tried my gym and a local restaurant that I have always had success connecting to before. Furthermore my WindowsXP desktop is directly connected and is connecting to the internet without any problems. My laptops are both running AVG for antivirus. Any ideas?

2. hssonline

hssonline

If you are having Internet connection problems related to "Unidentified Network" showing and the "!" over your NIC icon, then this should take care of it:

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network will disappear after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

3. TResseeS

TResseeS Thread Starter

Hi and Thank you so much for your help.
    Unfortunately, I had already tried that.
    I do not see anything beginning with ## or Id_ in my services list.
    I did however see Bonjour Service in my services list and I disabled it, then restarted my machine, but that did not help the problem. Do you have any other ideas?

4. hssonline

hssonline

Open up the command line utility and enter:
    >netsh winsock reset catalog and hit enter
    and then
    >netsh int ip reset reset.log and hit enter
    --reboot the PC

5. TResseeS

TResseeS Thread Starter

I have finally solved it. I feel so silly! I had to touch the button on the laptop to turn back on the wireless. I guess that I accidentally touched it at some point. Hope this solution saves someone else some time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice