1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unidentified network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by glennom, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glennom

glennom Thread Starter

I have just returned from a weekend away where I was using my Dell Inspiron Windows7 laptop connecting to the hotel WiFi network with no problem (having done this successfully before elsewhere). Now at home I cannot connect to the Internet or my home WiFi network. I have the message Unidentified Network yet it also seems to show I am connected to my home network, yet I cannot access anything. We need to Skype someone in afew days time so need a solution quickly. Any suggestions.:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try to connect by ethernet and Wi-Fi and ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify your network and also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. glennom

glennom Thread Starter

Whilst wondering how best to provide the info to Terrynet, I remembered that I could talk to Dell. The support guy asked me to cable connect to my router (uncomfortable on the stairs for 2 hours but enabled him to take over the laptop). He suggested replacing the wireless network card; I was doubtful - still thought it was a problem caused by the hotel network. So went to my wife's office and tried to connect to the network there. Success! Returned home. Rebooted both router and laptop and connected! So no need for new wireless card. However still do not know the cause nor what actually cleared the problem. My view always was that the hotel network caused some conflict but the Dell guy could not find it. In talking to friends since, 2 have reported similar problems after using some hotel networks. this is the first time I have encountered the problem having used a number of hotel networks and then had no problem on returning home. A mystery - satisfactory in that the problem is resolved; unsatisfactory in that I do not know the cause. Anyway thanks for your interest. Glennom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice