1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Uninstall problem with older version of Java

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hhannam, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    When I tried to update Java I ran into a problem with the older version not being able to be uninstalled for reason(s) I'm unclear about. I have attached the two error windows that come up, but I do not understand what I am supposed to do to resolve the issue. Java steers you to their support staff which says it'll only cost you about $50 for a solution to be issued....excuse me?!

If anyone is more fully informed about what I need to do to complete the uninstallation of the older version(s) of Java, please let me know. Thanks for your interest.

Attached Files:

2. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Why are you trying to replace the current version 1.7.0.10 with an older version 1.7.0.07? :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Recent Java don't need to be uninstalled in order to install latest versions, anyway.

5. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    No, I was not, but thank yiu for your input.

6. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Unfortunately I was unable even to download this freeware program. Please see my attachment of the message that comes up when I attempt to download the Java removal tool. Thanks for the suggestion in any case.

Attached Files:

7. Phantom010

The program needs to be downloaded to your desktop and unzipped first.

Right-click it and select Extract All.

8. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    When I attempt to download the removal tool from the sites posted I do not first get my normal "save to" window which allows me to select my download target file, so I have no option to save it to my desktop and then right-click to select extraction. I merely get the notice that I attached in my reply to mtslplex. When I right-click the dowload itself in my Firefox browser's download file, extraction is not one of the menu options...only to retry, go to download page, etc.

9. Phantom010

What browser are you using to download the program?

Are you using a download manager program?

10. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    To: Phantom010

As mentioned in my last reply, I use the Firefox browser, but to be quite frank I don't know why some .exe downloads go to the download (manager) in my browser, and other downloads prompt me with the save/open option window and I usually direct those downloads to my "Active programs file" or my "Inactive programs file" in my hard drive.

11. Phantom010

In Firefox, click Tools > Options > General.

Tick "Always ask me where to save files".

12. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I already have that selected. That's why I said that I don't understand why some downloads open that window and others go to the Browser download site.

13. Phantom010

I'm still wondering why you're trying to install an older version of Java (from what we're seeing in your attached images).

Try downloading JavaRA from HERE instead.

14. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I wasn't trying to install an older version, I was attempting to UN-install an older version.

Also, when I clicked on your suggested link to download JavaRa (Version 2), I again got the same popup window saying it couldn't open the program because my associated app was incorrrect and to reset my preferences. I have no idea what preferences the message is suggesting to be changed.

I'm afraid also that I've got to hit the sack now...I can barely keep my eyes open, but thank you very much for your efforts to assist me.

15. Phantom010

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice