1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Uninstall Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adrianthomas, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adrianthomas

adrianthomas Thread Starter

I am running XP.

The Control Panel App Add/Remove Programs will not populate.
    I have Revo Pro Installed and it does populate.

I have tried to uninstall Pinnacle Studio 12 multiple times. Once with Control Panel over a year ago.
    Most recently with Revo Pro (unable to find Uninstall program so just scanned for left overs in safe level).
    Used Pinnacle regdel to remove any Studio 12 remnants. Found and deleted Pinnacle Folders in Programs.

Reason for uninstall is that Windows Installer pops up every time I try to open or access any video file.
    It claims to need Studio12.msi and can not find it in blah blah\Pinnacle\\Extractor\1.

Please help to release the connection with Pinnacle and my video files.

Thanks

2. adrianthomas

Correction: Control Panel Add/Remove will populate it just takes about two hours.

Pinnacle Studio 12 is listed as a program in Add/Remove but when you click on it there are no options to Remove or Repair it.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

3. AtlBo

AtlBo

adrianthomas...

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/764143-unable-completely-uninstall-pinnacle-studio.html

Have you tried to manually remove the Pinnacle 12 folder yet? Look in C:\Program Files and check to see if the folder is still there. If it is, try to send it to the recycle bin manually. If that doesn't work, try GIPo move on boot. It's a small free utility that will remove folders and their contents when you next boot. I have always had good luck.

Seems some programmers create dependencies with their programs that make them diffficult to remove. The PC thinks parts of the program are still necessary for some sort of function.

4. adrianthomas

Thanks for the note. I did try to delete the folder and I thought successfully, but honestly I never checked again after reboot.

I was able to solve the problem by using Perfect Uninstaller, and letting it delete all registry references to Pinnacle it found.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK that's great. I never would have tried that after using Revo, but that was a good idea. Stubborn little problem, so I guess persistence was the answer...

6. adrianthomas

Yes, especially since PU didn't work the first two times. Program steps:

1) Tries to initiate original program's uninstall program. When it initiated Windows Installer it hangs on the typical can't find blah blah because I uninstalled the program previously.
    2) It scans registry to find left over associations with Pinnacle.
    3) It then scans files to find left over folders/files etc.

The first two times through it listed a bunch of registry entries with check marks in the boxes leading you to believe it's going to do something with them. No files were found which jives with what I thought because I was able to find and delete all the old Pinnacle folders.

When I hit "Next" I thought the program would ask me what I wanted to do with the checked registry items, but it did not. It simply returned to the beginning and when I hit next again it tried to initiate the original uninstall program again then scanned the registry again.

It wasn't until I unchecked and then re-checked one of the registry items it found before it asked if I wanted to delete the items. I said yes of course and viola it...joy!

My only complaint is that PU automatically installed add-ons and companion software during the installation which I promptly used PU to uninstall, and it cost $30.

Thanks

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

adrianthomas...that's a seriously twisted way for the episode to end. At least PU didn't leave you out of $30 and wishing you could use it on itself like you did on those add-ons LOL. That part was seriously amusing. Made my day...

:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice