1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Uninstall Problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bootmic, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bootmic

bootmic Thread Starter

My son bought a PC with two disk drives - a C drive and a second drive that had been partioned into D and E. He wanted to merge the D and E partitions into one D drive. Once he had assured me that the E partition contained only data and that he had copied the data, I gave him the instructions (including first converting from FAT32 to NTFS).

However, it seems that he did have one program installed on the E partition, the free Acrobat Reader version 7.08.

When he now tries to install Acrobat Reader (same version) on C or D drives, he is told that it already exists - and it does show on the Add/Remove Programs list. When he tries to uninstall Acrobat Reader, it fails with a message that says E:/ can't be accessed. So he can't install or uninstall the program.

We've tried to install an earlier version but we get the message saying we already have a later version installed. But I suspect we would have hit the 'no E:' problem anyway.

With great faith in the Tech Support Community, I told him that I didn't know how to remove Acrobat Reader from his system but there would be someone who does. Any help would be appreciated.

The PC is running XP (SP2) and, in case it's relevant, both C & D drives have been successfully converted to NTFS. He's had no other problems following the merge of the D & E partitions into one D volume.

Thanks for your time

Tony McCrorie

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

You may want to try the following which consists of 2 stages.

As with any process that affects the Registry it is always good practice to take a System Restore point and to backup the System State before proceeding.

Logon as Administrator.

1. Physically remove the program

Using Windows Explorer navigate to the Program Files folder, find the location of Acrobat and delete the files. (Usually Program Files > Adobe > Reader v XX)

Navigate also to Documents and Settings and then to the name of the user account(s). Within the account(s) under the folder "Application Data", delete the Adobe folder.

2. Fixing the Registry

You will of course still have Registry keys that refer to Acrobat. The easiest way to sort this out is to download a trial version (hopefully you will love the program and decide to pay for it!!) of Advanced Uninstaller Pro (see link below). When you have installed the program go to the Registry Tools and run Registry Cleaner. Look at the results of the scan and select anything to do with Acrobat and remove it.

That should sort the problem.

http://www.innovative-sol.com/

3. bootmic

bootmic Thread Starter

Tabvla - hello

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay in acknowledging it. My mother-in-law fell, broke her wrist and took over our life!! I'll follow your suggested steps to a solution and report back. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Tony.

4. bootmic

bootmic Thread Starter

Tabvla - hello again.

Problem solved thanks to your help.

Kind regards from Tony.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

Glad to be of help..... and thanks for the feedback.

(y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice