1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: uninstall programs not in add/remove programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cyberpac9, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

we had to remove Visual Studio 2005...when uninstalling VS it tells you to unistall portions in order...we did that and now nothing is listed in Add/Remove Programs relating to VS at all...however, in the start menu there is MS SQL Server 2005 configuration tools...when you reboot windows xp you get an error saying SQL Server could not start...well, we don't want SQL Server 2005 on there and are trying to remove it but it is not listed in Add/Remove at all...can't find anything relating to this at all...

how do we remove SQL Server 2005 configuration tools?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor".

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Use this utility to post a "startuplist" following these directions:

Open it, select the "Misc Tools" section.

Put a check in "list also minor sections (full)"

Then click "generate startuplist"

Copy paste the results here.

I suspect this is a "service" entry that was not removed -- but we should be able to identify it from the log.

Or, if you want you can run services.msc and see if you can spot it there on your own.

Once we know the "display name" we can delete it.

Also, you may need to review the information here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967

3. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

i'll try the HJT...i've looked at that site previously but it says to find Servers\setup\sqlsupport.msi...i guess that is for the stand alone version cause that's not on our disk....

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, I wasn't sure it would apply after reviewing it, deleted it and added it back just in case.

We can certainly remove any residual services, and that might resolve the error message --- but I'm not sure about the Configuration Tools itself -- still we should see a startup for anything that is loading or trying to load.

5. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

it was running as a service, that was my issue...all is resolved, thanks!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:cool: :)

Always nice to see someone resourceful enough not to require any extra hand holding. :)

You're most welcome for the suggestion.

7. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

well, sometimes i do need hand holding :)

i was a little embarrassed i didn't think of services...we uninstalled everything and even checked msconfig...nothing...well, duh...services.msc! once i read that i was like d'oh...i knew that would solve it...thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice