1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Uninstall XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hamneggs, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hamneggs

hamneggs Thread Starter

I have an older PC running XP that I'd like to use to run an old DOS application. To do this, I need to uninstall XP and install 98. XP was on this computer from the beginning, so it wasn't upgraded from 98. How can I uninstall the op system and do the clean install of 98? Thanks for any guidance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have a floppy and a full version of 98 on CD?

How many partitions/drives are on the system?

3. hamneggs

hamneggs Thread Starter

Yes; I have a floppy and a full version of 98 on CD, and it's a single drive/no partitions. (The machine is a Dell Dimension 4300 1.4GHz with 512MB of memory and a 20GB drive.)

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

WAIT! Why not install DOS on one partition and XP on another? Finding drivers for Win 98 is going to be not much fun at all.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use a Win98 SE boot floppy (with large drive fdisk, unformat.exe, and delpart.exe) to boot up. Run fdisk and remove all the partitions you see. You can run delpart.exe if you prefer.

Reboot to the floppy again and run fdisk. Create a partition the size you want (max or the whole drive, probably) and answer "Y" to all questions about large drive support.

Once you have the partition, reboot yet again to the floppy and run format C:

It will ask for a volume name: anything you want to name it.

Then do one or the other of these 2 things:

1.) Put the CD in the drive and remove the floppy. Restart the machine and see if it will boot up off the 98 CD and start setup.

2.) Put the CD in and start setup from the floppy by switching to the CD drive (probably E:) and typing: setup

=========================================

Did you read the note from Dr. Chauncey? You may want to check at the Dell website to see if there are 98 drivers for that machine, or you can look for them later, but if the machine never shipped from Dell with 98, be prepred for the possibility that you may need to replace some hardware in order to be able to run everything, or go to another operating system.

If you have ever considered trying Linux, this might be a good time to look into Ubuntu since it is more likely to have support for your hardware, except the modem.

6. hamneggs

hamneggs Thread Starter

This is an unneeded PC, and rather than discarding it I thought that I could use it to replace the much older 98 machine that's currently running the single application that I'm interested in retaining. The Win upgrade of the app would be very expensive and complex. The old software runs beautifully when I boot up the 98 machine in DOS. I figured that instead of discarding this PC I'd use it for this purpose. So, 98 drivers won't be an issue.

7. hamneggs

hamneggs Thread Starter

Thank you, Elvandil. I appreciate the help.

hamneggs

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could also install 98 inside your XP or Vista machine and run it as a virtual machine. You can actually run 2 operating systems at the same time that way, and install your old app in that version. It would be a way to run that program on your main machine so you didn't need to switch back and forth. I copied my old XP machine to my Vista and can run both at the same time. It saved my having to move everything over from the old machine into Vista.

www.virtualbox.org

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The only driver issues that will still need to be addressed are the graphics and motherboard. You will still neeed those to use your app. But those will be much easier to find than all the drivers you might need otherwise, so let's give it a try!

10. hamneggs

hamneggs Thread Starter

Interesting thought about installing 98 inside the XP machine, but I'd probably be getting in over my head. I've taken everything off the old PC at this point except the basic op sys, so I think that I'll pursue your original guidance and see if I can win the battle. The worst thing that could happen would be that I'll kill the machine, and in this case it won't really matter.

Probably a mistake, but I recently hid from the sooner or later Vista change-over by buying one last new primary laptop still running XP (which I love).

Thanks again for the help.

hamneggs

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP is really solid. It's support period has been extended. I'm getting used to Vista, but miss XP sometimes. It really is a great OS after SP2. I suspect that after SP1, Vista may be even more like XP than it is now.

I understand that you want to put the old machine to use. I have a couple like that and use them to try new partitioning software or other operating systems. Can't quite bring myself to toss them out.

The VirtualBox thing is really pretty easy to set up. And since it doesn't partition the drive or anything, is easily undone by simply uninstalling the program. You may want to play around with it at some point. For a free suite, VB is really quite impressive. It rivals VMWare and Parallels for Linux, but Windows runs a bit slow at times. That wouldn't even be noticeable with 98 which runs like a rocket on newer machines.

PS. Though most screenshots of those virtual machines show the guest OS running in a window, it can be made full-screen so that you don't even see the host operating system at all.

12. hamneggs

hamneggs Thread Starter

My thanks to Elvandil, and also to Dr. Chauncey, for their practically immediate responses to my posting, and for Elvandil's excellent solution to my situation. I followed the instructions, and accomplished my objective in short order.

Thanks again.

hamneggs

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome. And congratulations.

Kind of scary how easy it is to completely wipe away an entire OS, isn't it?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice