1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Uninstalled something that caused W98 to go into Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Junky73, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Junky73

Junky73 Thread Starter

Hey,

A friend of mine was going through Add/Remove and she removed something that caused her computer to go into Safemod. I was wondering what program it could be (that is probably impossible to know) and maybe if there was a way to find out the last programs that she had removed...is there anyway that this could be fixed

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What operating system is that, Win98 or WinME?

And does it actually say "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners of the screen, or does it just "look" like Safe Mode (lower screen resolution and color depth).

3. Junky73

Junky73 Thread Starter

Windows 98 SE (I thought I had mention that :p...next time preview then post)

She says she thinks she could have uninstalled an update, would that do anything?

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..Better to answer the question..than make a correction..;)
    "And does it actually say..etc etc"
    My correction..sorry..you were correcting yourself..
    I should preview..then post..:confused:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sorry, I might have missed the Win98 in the title when focussing on the body of the text ..

Well it might depend on what the update was. Typically most updates are for security issues (I don't think MS provides any others for Win98), but if it was a "hardware" update (never get those from MS) -- then it could be a problem. Normally uninstalling updates should not cause any problem

Still the issue of whether this is really Safe Mode or not has to be answered.

It may be possible to "quick-fix" the problem by restoring a prior registry. In Win98 the method is to press and hold the ctrl key on startup to get to the "boot menu".

Then choose the "command prompt" option. At the prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

and use the arrow keys to select a prior started registry. If she has really only been starting in Safe Mode, there should be a recent one.

If there is no recent registry, cancel out. Sometimes this is the case when scanregistry is missing or disabled in startups.

If an old registry is restored things could be made worse.

Also this is not the best method of trying to fix problems associated with uninstalls, since it restores prior registry calls, but not the files themselves. But if the registry were damaged by the uninstall -- it might work.

Also if Safe Mode is not really what she is seeing -- it might fix the resolution problem.

An alternative to using scanreg /restore (and personally I would pursue this alternative if the problem is due to an uninstall) is to use msconfig to disable startup files and see if one of them is the problem.

Start > Run: msconfig

Select the Startup tab and leave only Scanregistry and Systray enabled for a test.

If it starts up normally, then proceed to enable a few startups at a time to see if one causes the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q188867

6. Junky73

Junky73 Thread Starter

Yeah...I have no idea which of your ideas worked, but one of them does, and she says she was able to get it back and running. So thanks for you help

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, I'll mark the thread "Solved" -- an option available to you as well in the Thread Tools menu when appropriate.

You're most welcome.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice